I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bike hauler

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Bike hauler

Post by Marylander »

Those vans are pretty cool but I'm pretty sure they're not going to beat 15mpg. ;) I wonder how they drive some place like 340 when you get the strong cross winds.

I think I'm probably buying a few years too early to get one of the fuel efficient diesels at a price I'm willing to pay.

As far as height goes and fitting my family in a mid-size truck - I'm a big person in my household. My wife and daughters are all right about 5' tall. That said, there aren't many mid-size trucks out there and I never understood them considering that the full size pickups aren't that far away on fuel economy and can do a lot more work. Of course, I don't live in the country any more and I'm unlikely to put a ton of firewood or hay in the back of anything I buy...

Maybe I should give the minivan a try for a little while. The bike might fit inside with the suspension compressed. I think the seats might fold into the floor. I don't know if it has carpet or vinyl floors.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Marylander wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm I never understood them considering that the full size pickups aren't that far away on fuel economy and can do a lot more work.

City folks that have small parking places? :D

I can't believe that Kia only gets ~15 mpg. My Excursion averages about 18 (well, after dumping the V10 anyway)

'11+ F150 with a 5.0 in it for a realistic option.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Maybe I should give the minivan a try for a little while. The bike might fit inside with the suspension compressed. I think the seats might fold into the floor. I don't know if it has carpet or vinyl floors.

Years ago I fit my DR350 in my friend's mini van. But it was pretty awkward.

If you dont mind having a small/cheap flatbed trailer, you can tow your bike behind the way Sam does.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

My RAM 1500 EcoDiesel gets 27 MPG down the interstate empty, 18 MPG pulling my trailer. I get 20 MPG commuting to work. Not letting it go for $20K tho!!! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Four door full size pick up. :deal:

Done.
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 pm If you dont mind having a small/cheap flatbed trailer, you can tow your bike behind the way Sam does.
I do have a trailer but I don't like having to use it. It's kind of a nuisance. I love the hitch rack.
Kyler wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:38 am My RAM 1500 EcoDiesel gets 27 MPG down the interstate empty, 18 MPG pulling my trailer. I get 20 MPG commuting to work. Not letting it go for $20K tho!!! :lol2:
I was really close to driving away in it. The only problem was that you were at my house at the time so where would I go. :shrug:
dirtygrunt wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 am Four door full size pick up. :deal:

Done.
Yeah, the more I look at the options in my price range the more that seems like the best choice.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Bucho and me are both biased toward the big euro van. His is diesel and mine gas, both the same body size. I have owned every combo of options known to man and I sure can't ever see me not having a high roof van. You keep talking about MPG....you need to look at cost per mile. It was easy for me to drive a V-10 Excursion because I pulled a enclosed trailer always loaded with 4-6 bikes and 4-6 riders helping to share the gas. The Excursion was dirt cheap to pick up and sure was comfy rolling down the road.
With my Ram 2500 van it is front wheel drive so not 100% helpless like the other rear wheel drive vans. The engine is the common 3.6 v-6 that Dodge drops in many vehicles. With 4 people and 4 bikes it has no issue rolling down the road at 70-80mph. Cross wind can keep you busy but no worse than when pulling an enclosed trailer.
The market is getting more of the cargo vans used so not a problem to find a good deal used.
The older I got the more I HATED loading into the back of a tall 4x4 pick up.
Nothing nicer than rolling home after a long day of riding and just hitting the button to lock up and saying screw it till later to unload the bikes. If you like to attend events away from home the security of having everything inside sure makes sleeping much nicer knowing all your stuff should be waiting for you and not stolen over night. This weekend I have a 2 day trails event and will be camping....miserable out but with a small space heater it make for fine sleeping. On my trip to Colorado with van stuffed with bikes, riders and gear I just set the cruse around 70-75 and let the 6 speed tranny do the work. Averaged 17mpg for the trip. Worst ever was 15mpg and that was foot down hammering the mountains. The standard roof and length versions do a couple mpg better and Bucho should do much better with his diesel. My gas has no problem getting up to highway speed and sure nice to roll into any gas station and better yet if I have an engine issue the engine is very common. As for a daily driver?? Mine is just a weekend toy hauler but I would have no issue as a daily driver other than you can forget about drive thru food and parking garages.....oh, they are a bit ugly...hard to make a box look sexy.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 am Bucho and me are both biased toward the big euro van. His is diesel and mine gas, both the same body size. I have owned every combo of options known to man and I sure can't ever see me not having a high roof van. You keep talking about MPG....you need to look at cost per mile. It was easy for me to drive a V-10 Excursion because I pulled a enclosed trailer always loaded with 4-6 bikes and 4-6 riders helping to share the gas. The Excursion was dirt cheap to pick up and sure was comfy rolling down the road.
With my Ram 2500 van it is front wheel drive so not 100% helpless like the other rear wheel drive vans. The engine is the common 3.6 v-6 that Dodge drops in many vehicles. With 4 people and 4 bikes it has no issue rolling down the road at 70-80mph. Cross wind can keep you busy but no worse than when pulling an enclosed trailer.
The market is getting more of the cargo vans used so not a problem to find a good deal used.
The older I got the more I HATED loading into the back of a tall 4x4 pick up.
Nothing nicer than rolling home after a long day of riding and just hitting the button to lock up and saying screw it till later to unload the bikes. If you like to attend events away from home the security of having everything inside sure makes sleeping much nicer knowing all your stuff should be waiting for you and not stolen over night. This weekend I have a 2 day trails event and will be camping....miserable out but with a small space heater it make for fine sleeping. On my trip to Colorado with van stuffed with bikes, riders and gear I just set the cruse around 70-75 and let the 6 speed tranny do the work. Averaged 17mpg for the trip. Worst ever was 15mpg and that was foot down hammering the mountains. The standard roof and length versions do a couple mpg better and Bucho should do much better with his diesel. My gas has no problem getting up to highway speed and sure nice to roll into any gas station and better yet if I have an engine issue the engine is very common. As for a daily driver?? Mine is just a weekend toy hauler but I would have no issue as a daily driver other than you can forget about drive thru food and parking garages.....oh, they are a bit ugly...hard to make a box look sexy.
Ahh sweet van gospel, Preach On Brother!!!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, you've just about got me sold on the van idea. My wife likes that better than a pickup truck.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Well, the sorento didn't want to start so it is now gone to a better place (almost heaven). I've decided to just try out dad's caravan for now so I picked up a trailer hitch for it this morning. I think the whole back section flattens out so I should be able to stick my cot in there. First test friday night. Heading over this evening to put the hitch on and check it out a little more.