I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ac to D.C. Ktm voltage conversion

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Ac to D.C. Ktm voltage conversion

Post by juddspaintballs »

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Madizm wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 am Just to update. After reviewing the schematics of the xcw model, it turns out I only have a tail light. No brake indicator. Basically the exc models come with front and rear integrated brake switches which light the tail light brighter when applied. I have no such thing. So an inline rectifier to my light should suffice. It just stays on.
Don't know about your ac-dc issue but on the brake light my xcw-f did not have one & I bought a rear switch from I believe Trailtec & it was plug & play with factory led tailight.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Let me rephrase, LEDs (in automotive/powersports applications) are usually used/designed to run on DC power. They can work on AC, but at a potentially reduced output and can burn out the LED itself prematurely due to not being able to handle the reverse current.

The brake light he is talking about should be ok, but a higher power light not so much. Obviously Baja Designs feels that way about it as they have recently released an AC version of all their lights targeted at the powersports world (which I'm pretty sure just puts a rectifier on the power input)
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

I really appreciate everyone's input. While I trust that the led can handle the conversion, rectifiers are cheap. I am going to put on in line just in case. The last thing I want is voltage back feed in the bike. I'll post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f