I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Girly Tire Advice for the OFG

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Girly Tire Advice for the OFG

Post by BigBird »

I have somewhat of an assortment of Hybrid and other tires in my garage. My main riding bike these days is a Freeride that has had mods for more stability, etc. The Maxxis rear tire that comes on them is the BEST gripping tire I've ever run. It has by far the softest rubber (softer than a trials tire) and has a slightly squarer profile and more widely spaced knobs that seem to work well even in mud and it is a relatively short tire which keeps the back low. BUT this tire has 3 problems - not available in US & a delicate thin un-pluggable sidewall & barely rideable with Tubliss when flat! I have cut the sidewall on 2 of them and thus am looking for another tire. The 2 that seem closest to the Maxxix are the Kenda Equilibrium and the Dunlop d803.

(My newer tagged Freeride has the Kenda EQ mounted which seems to work well BUT hasn't been severely tested yet in sharp rocks.)

So I've compared the sidewalls on the un-mounted new tires I have. Surprisingly to me the d803 sidewall seems significantly thicker/tougher than the Kenda (which is tougher than the Maxxis). The problem with the Kenda (and even more so with the Maxxis) is that there is a thinish area where the sidewall meets the base of the side knobs. Thus, in the Kenda there is a ring at the top of the sidewall and bottom of the outer knobs that appears vulnerable. The d803 sidewall does NOT have this thin area and seems quite sturdy. The 505 cheater is even sturdier but is also a little taller which I don't like. So I have just mounted the d803 as my Maxxis replacement on my untagged Freeride. The one ride I did on it was with 6 psi which seemed adequate. I may try 5 psi next ride. I ran the Maxxis at 5.5 to 6. Of course, all of this is with Tubliss.

QUESTION for anyone that is familiar with trials tires:
Does anyone know the relative sidewall toughness of the various trials rear tires?

I've noted that some folks run IRC TR-11s which I think come in tube type, tubless type and DOT type.
I'm already familiar with the MT43 that is pluggable but not real stickey.
I THINK the Michelins real trials tires are quite delicate in the sidewall area (but not sure).
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Girly Tire Advice for the OFG

Post by Wingfixer »

I can't really speak to much of what you asked but I can tell you I really like the Kenda Equilibrium. It seems to find traction in most terrains and is wearing very well. I have approx 1000 miles on my current one and I'd estimate its a little over half worn. The down side is its not very rideable at 0 psi (as you witnessed at that last enduro). But, even after riding it about 10 miles flat the side walls held up and after a plug its been fine ever since.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The Xtrainer had an Equilibrium on the rear whenI got it. Like Wing says, its a great tire. Id be happy with another one. But Id still like to try the 505 "cheater". Im also finally going to try Tubliss on the rear when I put on a new tire.

Sorry Sam, I dot think I answered your question in any way.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Sam, I won't waste you time of the standard pluses and minuses for a trials tire. You know those.

I have been running the D803 with a Tubliss for 5+ years now on my Husberg 390 and the KTM 350. I have never had a sidewall puncture. Now I am a light weight person and my riding style in the rocks is light. Meaning I spend more time on top of the rocks than jammed in-between. These last about a riding season for me before the knob start flying apart (I ran my last one two seasons) . It really depends on how much road I ride. I stick with it because I really like the traction and as an extension of my suspension, easy on the unsprung weight and really adds to the softness of the ride. The Hybrid's tend to have a a lot of unsprung weight. I run about 8 PSI and really do not notice being high in the rear compare to a knobby. A far as mud, unless I get into mud above my axles, I have never had an issue.

I ran the MT43 a while back and that tire was ok, but I like a real trials tire better. The MT43 lasts for ever forever.

I used to run the old Michelin tubed version of their trials tire (no longer available) That was a great tire. Good or better than the D803, but the knobs did not fly apart. Never had a flat or side wall issue.

I fear the new tubeless Michelin trials tires have too soft a sidewall. I run an Xlite on my trials bike and man those are soft tires.

I have no experience with the IRC, but I have read people having good experience with these.

I stick with the D803 because it works for me and I don't mind replacing regularly.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

The MT-43 was my go to tire for a very long time. For a "finesse" rider the traction was superb. However, after running the Equilibrium I have been in love ever since. The Equilibrium currently on my bike is completely rounded over and mostly worn out but still hooks up no problem; so much so that the almost new MT-43 I have mounted on a spare rim hasn't moved in a year. (If anybody wants an almost new MT-43 for $40 let me know)

Now, I am intrigued by the 505 cheater only because it is cheaper than the Equilibrium. If I can get the same performance through a Chinese copy/theft of a design; that appears to be the standard business model today....

BTW, you guys are all gay.

SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sam have you tried running a bib moose yet?
Kenda with a bib and just ride.
The Kenda is a 4.50 so a bigger bib will be needed than what you stuff in a trials tire.
If you insist on a trials tire then try the vee rubber. They also make a 19" for MX wheels.
The IRC is paper thin in the tread area --- stay away.
The new X-lite that came on my trials bike is stupid expensive and paper thin...it is now replaced with a 803 GP.
Jay...why the hate??? Hugs...Boom Boom
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Skinny-J wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:50 pm
BTW, you guys are all gay.

SJ
Or maybe misunderstood. :think:
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

2019 Husqvarna TE250i
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Don't speed! Knobs will detach from the casing.
Read more at http://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/d ... vyrOfmP.99

:lol2:

Good thread. I'll be looking to replace the Maxxis on my Freeride soon.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

FYI, the 803 is now the 803GP and IMHO an even better tire.
Something to ponder with the trials tires is the tubeless tire that are designed for a trials bike that runs no rim locks is designed for that tubeless rim and is a little bit smaller in bead diameter so they don't always want to push out to the rim on a non tubeless design where the Kenda and other cross over tires are not tubeless design and work perfect with a standard rim plus many like the MT-43 actually have a bit of a rim protector built in. I have noticed when finishing off an old trials tire on the dirt bike that when I change off the dirt bike I find the rim to have crud inside as it has passed between the tire and rim so the fit is not as good as a non tubeless design tire. The rim lock better be a good design to hold that tubeless tire from spinning or expect to rip off a valve stem.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr