I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Street legal-ing an "off-road" moto in state of MD

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Street legal-ing an "off-road" moto in state of MD

Post by kevvyd »

Hey gang, (I apologize as I know this has been covered, and yes I have looked at the threads but did not want to resurrect ancient threads)

I am thinking on buying some guys bike in hopes of getting it street legal.

Seller has the MSO* and is the original owner. He never got a state title or registration. (*Manufacturers Statement of Origin)

If I bought this, and added all the required stuff for Maryland inspection, (hi/lo, mirror, brake switches, horn, signals........)
What would I then have to do to get street legal and registered here in MD?

Or do you just do the VT, SD, ME thing?

If it is inappropriate to air out the "secret" here please PM me. And Thank you!
'19 350 EXC-F
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Street legal-ing an "off-road" moto in state of MD

Post by J&J »

What bike are you looking at?
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

J&J wrote:What bike are you looking at?
Its a WR450
'19 350 EXC-F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

If you set the bike up to legally pass inspection then you can legally register it for road use. You need the full monty: hi/low beams; turn signals; brake light switches on both front and rear brakes; chain guard; mirrors; license plate light; etc.
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

Marylander wrote:If you set the bike up to legally pass inspection then you can legally register it for road use. You need the full monty: hi/low beams; turn signals; brake light switches on both front and rear brakes; chain guard; mirrors; license plate light; etc.
Right, I been getting all sorts of conflicting info about that.
So when the bike has all the street legal garbage--in full--on it... Who do I go see to get an inspection. Any licensed moto inspection station. Or exclusively at the MVA?

Anyone been through this recently?
'19 350 EXC-F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

kevvyd wrote:
Marylander wrote:If you set the bike up to legally pass inspection then you can legally register it for road use. You need the full monty: hi/low beams; turn signals; brake light switches on both front and rear brakes; chain guard; mirrors; license plate light; etc.
Right, I been getting all sorts of conflicting info about that.
So when the bike has all the street legal garbage--in full--on it... Who do I go see to get an inspection. Any licensed moto inspection station. Or exclusively at the MVA?

Anyone been through this recently?
Go to a gas station that does motorcycle inspections. I haven't been through it recently but the rules haven't changed in decades. You can always talk to the state police trooper that works at the MVA. I've found them to be knowledgeable. Could also call the state police safety group to get an official answer.
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

Alright, so the answers I have gotten thus far are all related to inspection and registration.

But what about titling. Isnt that the problem. That once there is "off-road" on the title you are pretty well screwed?
'19 350 EXC-F
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

The "offroad only" thing is why I asked which bike. I don't have any personal experience but at leat 3 people on here have tagged WRs although they may have had street titles when they got em. One of those guys will probably answer but it can be done for sure.
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

J&J wrote:The "offroad only" thing is why I asked which bike. I don't have any personal experience but at leat 3 people on here have tagged WRs although they may have had street titles when they got em. One of those guys will probably answer but it can be done for sure.

Exactly! I hope to hear more...

I know that if you use one of the states with the "loophole" often those titles are issued as "off road" but they still will send you a registration and tag. Thereby the bike is still road legal...technically.

Is it true that in MD if the title is "off-road" then there is absolutely no way. Even with all the proper parts and official inspection?

Thanks again
'19 350 EXC-F
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

And--FWIW

I have a "bro" who currently works at a local MC dealer, and has worked for some other local dealers, as well as a national level moto company. So I am presuming he is really well read in this topic...and likely has some connections.
He recently acquired a WR450 and did the out of state thing. (suggests that is what I would NEED to do)

My guess is for us around here...that is the only way.
'19 350 EXC-F