I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trying to find a dual sport

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Bigfishmd
DAMN n00b

Trying to find a dual sport

Post by Bigfishmd »

Hey everyone I'm trying to find a good bike to get into riding bad news is I'm on a budget of about 2k. I've been riding my uncles dr650 would like something similar. Help is very much appreciated. Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Trying to find a dual sport

Post by Bucho »

Whats up Bigfish

Please let us know a little bit more about your and what/where/how you like to ride.
You mention the Suzuki DR650. For what it is, I absolutely LOVE my DR650. I've had mine for many years and I still really love it. I think it has many really nice features, though light weight and high performance it is NOT.
That said, there are other somewhat similar bikes that may be just as good (or even better) for you.
The "other" Suzuki dualsport is also great. I've never had much seat time on one, but tons of people love them. They are a little lighter weight and have better stock suspension.
As much as I say I hate Honda, I have to admit the Honda XR650L is a decent bike. Its pretty similar to the DR650. Stock for stock the honda has better offroad suspension, (though I think its about the same once you start modifying). I believe the Honda is also a little bit lighter weight (though both are pretty heavy when compared to dirtbikes).
The other very popular dualsport is the Yamaha WR250R. While its a smaller 250, its a liquid cooled thumper w/ a 5 valve head and fuel injection. With minor mods it runs very well and keeps up with the bigger dualsports just fine. As long as you can twist the throttle a bit more.
The last dualsport I'll mention is the Honda CRF250L. In some ways its a cheaper version of the Yamaha WR250R. Sits a little lower (good if you are short) and makes a less horsepower. But still a decent bike.

I didn't mention any of the other "Euro" dirtbikes and dualsports. While KTM 350/450/500EXC's are street legal dualsports, they are really more like street legal offroad race bikes. Not that its a bad thing, they are just a different animal than the "true dualsports" the above Jap bikes are.

Now that I typed this whole thing, I'm not sure if you were actually asking for "which bike" advice. Were you just asking for help to find a dualsport for sale?
It is certainly tougher as the market is much smaller, but they are out there. You might have to be willing to drive a little bit further to find a used one. Unlike buying a used Harley-Davidson or sportbike, where you could find a dozen with in twenty miles for sale.

Give us a little more info and we'd be happy to help!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bigfishmd
DAMN n00b

Post by Bigfishmd »

I actually was looking at Craigslist and am going to look at a drz400 at some point in the near future

Bigfishmd
DAMN n00b

Post by Bigfishmd »

Little more about myself. Well I'm 6'5" and 250 pounds so I have a large frame and don't really care to fit on most of the sport bikes and not a fan of Harley's so it kinda leaves me slim pickings

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Does Gene happen to be your uncle?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bigfishmd wrote:Little more about myself. Well I'm 6'5" and 250 pounds so I have a large frame and don't really care to fit on most of the sport bikes and not a fan of Harley's so it kinda leaves me slim pickings
I'm right there with you - I'm 6'5" and 230#.

I had a KTM450 with a custom made seat that was 2" taller. That was an awesome dual-sport bike for around here. I was an idiot to sell it.

I had a KLR and a KTM 950. Both were great for long distance dual-sport.

What is your budget?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Do you actually care to ride offroad?

Or do you just not want a sportbike or a harley?

I just reread your original post. A budget of about $ 2K. If you could bring that up to 3K or so it makes it a little easier. At 2K, a well used DR650 or DRZ400 is gonna be about all your gonna find.
Its tough to find a decent running street legal bike for less than that.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bigfishmd
DAMN n00b

Post by Bigfishmd »

Gene is my uncle and I want to have sport bike one day but I don't have the self control yet to get a hot rod bike. I want to work on my skill and he suggested that getting a multi purpose motorcycle to be the best anyway. I have been dirt riding with him for a little bit now started on his tw200 but it was a bit small lol and he has been telling me about the fun of his off road adventures and I want in on it

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

I know a guy with a 2006 DR 650 that could probably be had for $2.5k...