I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Broken rear spoke - my KTM

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Broken rear spoke - my KTM

Post by Madizm »

Hi all,

While cleaning off the mud this weekend I found that I broke one of my rear spokes on my KTM. I'm not familiar of the best approach here. Fix it? Replace wheel? Ride that bitch like you stole it til it falls apart?

Let me know if I should be worried about it or ride til its time to replace the whole thing?
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Broken rear spoke - my KTM

Post by Rut Row »

I favor the buy a new bike approach :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

One spoke won't ruin you, but you should get the spoke replaced. I have several spokes bad on both wheels, although my new hoops and spokes should arrive here tomorrow so I just rode it with bad spokes anyways. For what it's worth, you can get the Tusk brand hoop and spoke kits for $255 for the front/back pair of whole wheel sets for $550 for both.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

Kyler wrote:I favor the buy a new bike approach :shrug:

Um that wasn't exactly one of my options.... :screwy:
2005 Honda CRF250f
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

juddspaintballs wrote:One spoke won't ruin you, but you should get the spoke replaced. I have several spokes bad on both wheels, although my new hoops and spokes should arrive here tomorrow so I just rode it with bad spokes anyways. For what it's worth, you can get the Tusk brand hoop and spoke kits for $255 for the front/back pair of whole wheel sets for $550 for both.
I've never done any wheel work so all new territory for me. Really don't need a brand new wheel so a rebuild is probably the best bet. Thanks!
2005 Honda CRF250f
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Cut the broken one out & tighten the rest. They usually break from being loose. Then get some of Jed's used ones (there are 2 lengths) or order a couple & try to get it in there the next time you put a tire on. You can't always get the new one in depending on which one it is. Wont hurt anything missing 1 or 2.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a spoke kit, less one or two spokes, that I got to replace a broken spoke on the DRz. They're for an 18" wheel, they also fit the WR and might work on your katoom. They are really easy to replace, I'll bring one with me the next time it looks like we might ride together. In the mean time I'd recommend at least removing the broken one so it doesn't poke a hole in your tube.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Post by dirtdevil193 »

For what it's worth, any bicycle shop will have a spoke threader, good for multiple sizes. Call and see if they have the right Guage spoke, if not, order one and bring it in along with a good one and they will cut and thread it for you, tighten back up and good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

1. Pull broken spoke.
2. Ride.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I don't have any spare used spokes. They were all in pretty bad shape, so a cutoff wheel made removing them all really quick.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R