I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Looking for a tailor

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Looking for a tailor

Post by Bucho »

200K miles is pretty good. I think you got your mileage out of it.

I hear you about prices. I think my one piece was right about $800 back in 2001
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

It took about 3 weeks for my suit to be repaired at the end of 2015 although their initial estimate was 8-10 weeks. The zippers do seem to take a beating. The RiRi water resistant zippers were crap and I actually went through 3 of the main RiRi zippers (under warranty) before getting the YKK water resistant ones (which has held up so far, crossing fingers).
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Thanks guys. I think wife is pushing me toward getting a new suit. I'm debating on prying the extra $1200 of our my hands. If I didn't recently replace every piece of armor, it would be an easy choice. ... Actually, I wonder if I can get a suit without the armor to save money? :-)

Patrick

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Send it back to them. The hard part isn't replacing the zippers, it's getting some degree of waterproofing back after replacing them. The goretex needs to be retaped, which Joe Singer isn't going to be able to do.

If it's bad enough, they'll sell you a new one at half-price, at least that used to be the deal.

I'm trying to decide myself on sending mine back for a refresh, or going to goretex for the guaranteed to keep you dry warranty. Mine is about as waterproof as cheese cloth.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Oh, and if it's just the zipper pull that needs fixed, then:
They sell: http://www.aerostich.com/zipper-repair/ ... -kits.html and http://www.aerostich.com/zipper-repair/zipper-mend.html and http://www.aerostich.com/zipper-repair/fixnzip.html
On my suit, on pulls that have just worn off, I'm using some dyneema cordage.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

phoo wrote:I think wife is pushing me toward getting a new suit.
Play hard ball and insist that if she makes you buy a new motorcycle suit then you should have a new motorcycle to go with it. :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a tailor

Post by phoo »

thetable wrote:Send it back to them. The hard part isn't replacing the zippers, it's getting some degree of waterproofing back after replacing them. The goretex needs to be retaped, which Joe Singer isn't going to be able to do.

If it's bad enough, they'll sell you a new one at half-price, at least that used to be the deal.

I'm trying to decide myself on sending mine back for a refresh, or going to goretex for the guaranteed to keep you dry warranty. Mine is about as waterproof as cheese cloth.
I hadn't heard of the half price thing before. Worth looking into. And what's with the goretex guarantee? Last time I had the suit serviced, they fixed some of the waterproofing because I had broad swaths of goretex that had delaminated from the suit.

Patrick

1975 Harley FXE1200
thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a tailor

Post by thetable »

phoo wrote:I hadn't heard of the half price thing before. Worth looking into.
There was some mention of it on their page, but looks like it's not there any more. I've read a few threads on ADV where people have had that option offered to them.

And what's with the goretex guarantee? Last time I had the suit serviced, they fixed some of the waterproofing because I had broad swaths of goretex that had delaminated from the suit.
http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/experience/our-promise
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Ah, thanks for the link. That could be why they fixed some goretex last time without charging me. Technically, that guarantee doesn't apply to me because apparently "it always seems to rain about the same time as the suit starts to smell" doesn't count as "regular care and washing."

1975 Harley FXE1200