I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Best Dual Sport GPS

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Best Dual Sport GPS

Post by BigBird »

Longboardr wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:
Glenduro wrote:Hey guys!

Im looking for suggestions on a dual sport GPS. Any thoughts?
Skinny-J
He's the best GPS I've had the pleasure of following in like, ever :thumbup:

NO QUESTION!!!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

I agree :thumbup:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wingfixer wrote:

Skinny-J
Shucks, you fellows are too kind. The only problem is I don't mount on the handle bars very well.... :jack:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Skinny-J wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:

Skinny-J
Shucks, you fellows are too kind. The only problem is I mount on the handle bars very well.... :jack:
Talk about leaving a door wide open! :killingme:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

I've been through a bunch, Montana without a doubt is the winner. If you're not going off-road, the Zumo is probably fine, but the last generation that I actually laid hands on was an expensive automotive unit with Bluetooth and waterproofing.

The cheaper Nuvi won't get much done, and in a motorcycle environment, it's probably going to leave you digging for paper maps sooner or later. (Ask me how I know...)

I kind of think that they're all a bit of a ripoff, but there just isn't much competition, or huge quantities of them being sold.

Phone, hell no, not unless it was an old phone that I didn't mind sacrificing.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I have a Nuvi 550/500 (one has topo maps, which I got, the other speaks road names instead of just saying "turn right in 500 feet"). I got it for cheap as a refurb. It works great for off road and does a decent job navigating on streets. It's waterproof and it works great even with gloves on. It also was a primary point of impact when I tossed my ktm off of a 40' cliff and still works great. The biggest issue with it is that the power jack, which is mini USB, gets rusty and doesn't work right in an infuriating manner. I recently learned They All Do That, so I'm going to see if I can replace the connector with something else.

Another huge deficiency with this unit, if you plan on doing any "gps route provided" events, they usually provide a gpx file, which this unit doesn't support. At all. You can try doing something on the computer to make a compatible route, but it never works as well and that doesn't help you if you don't get the route ahead of time.

I've heard great things about the Montana for dual sport and adventure routes and plan on getting one or the successor to one at some point to make my life easier. FWIW, I heard that at least the older Zuma models also don't support gpx. I don't know if this changed or if I was misinformed.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

My biggest gripe with my Montana is that it won't create a route from Tracks. Tracks are the "usual" way people send the routes via .GPX files, so unless you like farting around on the computer with the file for a while or don't mind following tracks without turn-by-turn directions, you're SOL.

Now that I have a road bike again, I am considering milling out a block of aluminum to hold my Nuvi 765 GPS (it's a Zumo in a non-waterproof package) and sealing it in there with a screen cover. If that doesn't work, I'll get a Zumo.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Interesting. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong name, because I thought that it was specifically the Montana that was supposed to work for processing track files. I guess I'll have to look it up again.
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

I finally got around to getting a ram mount and a lifeproof case for my iphone. I'm experimenting with apps for riding gpx routes, so far I like "GPS Tracks" I think i'm going to pull the trigger and go pro so I can download all the offline topos and maps it offers. Any suggestions out there?

I looked at another app called scenic but have not used it yet? Anyone with scenic app experience?

Glenduro
Glenduro
Been there, Done that , and bought the replacement parts
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

Glenduro wrote:I finally got around to getting a ram mount and a lifeproof case for my iphone. I'm experimenting with apps for riding gpx routes, so far I like "GPS Tracks" I think i'm going to pull the trigger and go pro so I can download all the offline topos and maps it offers. Any suggestions out there?

I looked at another app called scenic but have not used it yet? Anyone with scenic app experience?

Glenduro

So my bro Jon and I just did a trip where he used his "droid" Samsung (maybe) phone on his handlebar with a RAM and a LifeProof. Apparently the constant buzz of your bike going down the road can ruin the camera. A well documented phenomenon if you do a search like: "camera phone broken after motorcycle ride"

Just saying
'19 350 EXC-F