I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

From Baltimore to Ocean City

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

From Baltimore to Ocean City

Post by illenium » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Guys,

not sure if any of you also hit the road
for longer distances every now and than, i thought
about a trip to ocean city, MD with camping
down there, like a weekend or extended weekend
trip.

Anyone interested?

:kumbaya:

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: From Baltimore to Ocean City

Post by mdubya » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 pm

In my opinion, the ride to Ocean City is one of the worst possible on a motorcycle, especially if it is any time during the "season".

But then again, I have long since lost the desire to ride the "open road" on a motorcycle. If I can't ride twisty back roads to get somewhere, the bike goes in the back of the truck.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Is there any riding on the eastern shore that's not straight and flat?

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I'd be interested in a weekend or so camping trip but as others have said, riding a bike to OC sucks. I took the SuperHawk there a few years ago and swore I'd never do it again. If you are looking for a decent weekender I would suggest going to the Deal's Gap area, there are a ton of killer roads around there, aside from the dragon, that your little hooligan machine is just made for. The Outer Banks area around North Carolina also has some great riding opportunities.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Wingfixer wrote:I'd be interested in a weekend or so camping trip but as others have said, riding a bike to OC sucks. I took the SuperHawk there a few years ago and swore I'd never do it again. If you are looking for a decent weekender I would suggest going to the Deal's Gap area, there are a ton of killer roads around there, aside from the dragon, that your little hooligan machine is just made for. The Outer Banks area around North Carolina also has some great riding opportunities.
The playground and the snake are about 2+ hours closers and you can take fun back roads to get there - camp.. and then come home..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Grady wrote:Is there any riding on the eastern shore that's not straight and flat?
Pocomoke State Forest has a decent ORV trail.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... forest.asp

You could do lot's of wandering around the Eastern Shore, but I wouldn't expect any roads that are very exciting. I think you'd have more fun with your boat, or a surf board, or a boogie board, wearing zinka instead of a helmet for protection. :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 am

I rode the KLR from MD to NC (trip report here). It was an interesting trip but not sure I'd do it again.

You should have come with us to James Bay last year.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:39 pm

you want a twisty backroad weekend road trip with camping lets do a run up to pa grand canyon???? Im in where ever we go :bandit:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Yeah, about 7 years ago, I did that on my ZRX with my wife on the back, and it was literally the last time she got on a bike with me. Rte. 50 is just plain soul-sucking.

Now, if you take the right attitude about it -- i.e. stop and smell the roses, the journey not the destination, all that Hallmark shit... yadda yadda... if you were to plot some real back roads, take a whole day, maybe stop and get pix of "east coast-y" stuff like crappy old tobacco shacks, eat at little BBQ/gas station/liquor store/bait shop, etc., it might be an enjoyable way to spend a day.

The camping is good, just take plenty of bug spray.

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

B DIRT wrote:you want a twisty backroad weekend road trip with camping lets do a run up to pa grand canyon???? Im in where ever we go :bandit:
I'm in B Dirt - let me know when you plan the trip! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris