I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Why I don't work on carbs

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Why I don't work on carbs

Post by J&J »

thetable wrote:First, start with the right screwdriver. These are not your father's phillips screws. Get yourself a nice set of JIS screwdrivers. I've been really happy with the Vessel drivers.

A little Screwgrab is nice stuff to have too, but I'm betting a proper sized JIS driver will pull the mangled screws right on out.
A little more information for anyone that doesn't know;

JIS stands for Japanese industrial standard
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Good call on the tools. I usually don't skimp on getting the right tool for the job...I never thought of "real" screwdrivers.
Waiting on parts.....

Mike- you talking about a WR? Yami blue? :lol2:
Bruce
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Go to the DRZ400 forum at Thumpertalk for all the advice for a DRZ that you could ever want. For jetting for the 400, go to the Jetting forum @ Thumpertalk and do a search for DRZ400 and you're answer will be there. The KLZ and DRZ are the same. Your answer will probably be best from Eddie Sisneros.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

J&J wrote:JIS stands for Japanese industrial standard
If I were smarter, I'd have put up a pic.
Pro-tip, the JIS screws usually have a little dot on the head. Lazy-tip, JIS drivers work just fine in plain old freedom phillips screws too.

You'll also see that the screw you were trying to use a Phillips #1 in, takes a JIS #2, and that JIS driver will most likely even remove the already damaged screws. I've seen my share of buggered up brake reservoir screws that came right off with the right driver.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

buggered up brake reservoir screws
:lol2:

BTDT too.
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

BillyGoat wrote:Go to the DRZ400 forum at Thumpertalk for all the advice for a DRZ that you could ever want. For jetting for the 400, go to the Jetting forum @ Thumpertalk and do a search for DRZ400 and you're answer will be there. The KLZ and DRZ are the same. Your answer will probably be best from Eddie Sisneros.
Good call.

Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

What size JIS screwdrivers are needed for typical bike work? I've stripped my share of screws on carbs, brake reservoirs, you name it. ;)
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Marylander wrote:What size JIS screwdrivers are needed for typical bike work? I've stripped my share of screws on carbs, brake reservoirs, you name it. ;)
95% of what I've encountered is the +P2 (I think that's the right nomenclature), but I ordered the set of 1, 2, and 3. http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/s ... e.tpl.html Pretty sure I actually ordered mine from McMaster.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Cool, thanks. Going in search of a deal on 'em now.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I don't know why everyone is talking about JIS screws etc...just go get some nice Cap-head hex key type screws. They work best and will never be a problem to remove. Plus they'll be $1 instead of $50 for the screwdrivers. Just my uninformed opinion that's all. :chicken kiss:
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T