I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Howdy from Alexandria

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
bulboushead

Howdy from Alexandria

Post by bulboushead »

Hey all,

New to the site, have wanted to adventure ride for about half a year, finally got a sweet 05' KLR (red of course). Someone on ADVrider suggested I come this way so here I am. I am a big weekend morning rider! If anyone wants to cruise around and hit some offroad in the area (of which I don't know where it is) shoot me a PM. I also like long walks on the beach and candlelit dinners.

Wyatt
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Howdy from Alexandria

Post by mdubya »

Welcome Wyatt. I am sure you will have plenty of offers to help you get your KLR dirty. :deal:

:cheers:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Did you sell your cruiser bike?

My next couple of weekends are busy, but if you are ever free during any weekdays let me know. I could show you some fun stuff.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

KLR? I approve! And welcome to our DAMN group! :cheers:

I'm tied up this weekend but keep an eye on the rides forum.

How much experience do you have riding and how much off-road? Need to decide if you have to go therough the KLR GreenRidge initiation... :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
bulboushead

Post by bulboushead »

Yes I sold my cruiser to a woman from Ohio. I broke even on the sale, but the nice thing is I got the 05' KLR with 4k miles on it for 3200, plus the supertrapp that came on it. Purdy good deal I reckon.

As far as riding experience, I've been riding since I was 16 (currently 21). I learned on a gz250, then got an sv650, then purchased a c50 boulevard here in DC, and now am hoping the KLR will be 'the one'. As far as off roading, I've done it once on my brother in laws yamaha dirt bike and it was awesome. But, that means I also suck at it too so I'd like some proper instruction on getting her dirty! I will keep my eye out on the rides forum also.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bulboushead wrote:As far as riding experience, I've been riding since I was 16 (currently 21). I learned on a gz250, then got an sv650, then purchased a c50 boulevard here in DC, and now am hoping the KLR will be 'the one'. As far as off roading, I've done it once on my brother in laws yamaha dirt bike and it was awesome. But, that means I also suck at it too so I'd like some proper instruction on getting her dirty! I will keep my eye out on the rides forum also.
This could have been me last year.

Okay, straight skinny here - if you are invited to do Green Ridge (GR) - DON"T GO! I'll tell you the rest of the story over a few :cheers:

Start looking now for a dirt bike to go along with the KLR. :thumbup:

And if you really want to be cool, get a Wasp while you're at it! :lol2:

I started with the KLR and did GR a few times - wasn't fun. Got the KTM (street legal version) and GR is a blast!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

What size klr? Is it the 650 or the 250?
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

What is it with KLRs and Green Ridge? After a couple of trips I also started looking for an "off-road" only bike. Not that I couldn't handle GR on the KLR, it was just more work than fun.

Yeah-take your KLR to Green Ridge, we'll hook you up :lol2:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The Greenridge area is still a ton of fun for dualsporting. There are miles and miles of dirtroads. Not to mention some nice paved roads in the area.
The above comments are about taking your heavy pig dualsport w/ semi knobby tires on the Offroad loop, (especially when its muddy). If you aren't already a dirtbike hero, its kinda tough.

Hook up w/ us for some rides and we'll help you find some dirt. But in the mean time just head west and stay off the main roads, you're bound to find something good.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200