I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Shop in frederick??

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Shop in frederick??

Post by DirtyRooster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Wheres the best place in or nearish frederick to take my cfr 450x with seized motor?

thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: Shop in frederick??

Post by thetable » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:33 pm

I can't really recommend a Honda shop, but I'm guessing unless it's a relatively new bike, by the time you pay shop rates, it would probably be cheaper to replace the whole bike, or at least the engine/trans with a good condition used one.

YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Post by YAMPOL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:30 pm

You could Tri State Cycles in Funkstown, Md. Not too far from Frederick. Straight shot up 40A.

301-797-8130
Retired and loving it!

DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:34 pm

05 crf 450X

I want to take it in, it had been running great with a little trouble starting and I did the gentlest washout on the right side and it was seized up, I suspect maybe a problem with the starter clutch???? I know it had been going, I've heard honda used little plastic rollers that are know to wear(though I've never had it apart myself) Kickeded it with a little force and it freed up but wasn't able to start the bike, at that point the starter would just whizz wouldn't crank the bike. after a few attempts to push start the bike it seized up again and I don't want to force it for fear of damaging something. Is it possible the stater clutch broke and is half stuck engaged to the crank? I have only a vague understanding of how it works since I haven't had it apart that far before.

stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Dutrow Honda is in Frederick, north on the golden mile just outside the built up area. I stopped by and discussed a problem with a mechanic there once and he was helpful but I havent had work done there, maybe someone else has and will speak up...

Did you happen to remove the plug? Just curious if it could be hydrolocked? :shrug:

jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Dutrows would be a good choice. I always received great service when I had a Honda.
Member R&T Club, and GMER

DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:40 pm

hydolocked?

I haven't spent any time messing with it, I was so upset that I couldn't ride the rest of the day tuesday, I just threw it on the truck and stuck it in the garage.

I did notice once the bike got warm it was oozing air cleaner oil. I had just cleaned it and apparently I over did it with the oil. Think maybe I sucked that crap into the carb?? Would that cause it to seize up like that?

BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Just take the plug out and try to push it in a high gear to see if the engine spins and that there's nothing in the cylinder.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 pm

DirtyRooster wrote:hydolocked?

I haven't spent any time messing with it, I was so upset that I couldn't ride the rest of the day tuesday, I just threw it on the truck and stuck it in the garage.

I did notice once the bike got warm it was oozing air cleaner oil. I had just cleaned it and apparently I over did it with the oil. Think maybe I sucked that crap into the carb?? Would that cause it to seize up like that?
We have crf 250r's & if they get upside down :shrug: (it happens) oil will drain from the valve cover to the aircleaner.... enough oil could get into the cylinder to hydrolock it (oil will not compress) Take out the plug & try to kick it first, then if it kicks you can try the starter. If it won't turn over with kicker put it in 4th or 5th & try to roll bike with plug still out, that will tell you if you have a problem with the starter. If it's hydrolocked it should clear out with a few cranks. If it's oil then you might need a new plug.

DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Ill try those suggestions this weekend but as of right now I can't kick it at all the kick starter is frozen solid.