trailer registration in Maine

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bork
DAMN Poohba

trailer registration in Maine

Post by Bork » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 pm

I recently heard about this from a guy. Anyone have input? pros & cons. I have a few trailers, & would make sense to convert them all & save a bit of $.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: trailer registration in Maine

Post by Rut Row » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 am

I'm not following you - what is the issue? why don't you want to register them here?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:23 am

Kyler wrote:I'm not following you - what is the issue? why don't you want to register them here?
Because the liberal ass-hats that run this state like to impose defacto taxes by charging absolutely ridiculous fees for the "privledge" of towing a small trailer behind the truck that you have already paid a ridiculous "privledge" fee for...

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:45 am

Bork wrote:I recently heard about this from a guy. Anyone have input? pros & cons. I have a few trailers, & would make sense to convert them all & save a bit of $.
Yes, I did a lot of research just last year on this and ended up doing it. You need to use a third party service to handle the paperwork but they are all over the inter-web. Depending on the weight of the trailer you may have to first title it in Maine (you can keep your MD title as well which is already paid for). Then you can get your Maine registration. My trailer was under 1,200 pounds so I did not need to title it, just send them a copy of the existing title, they register it and a Maine plate shows up in mail. I paid $60 for a 5 year plate so that works out to a cost of $12/yr. MD charges $51 for a 2 year renewal so I am saving $13/yr; times 3 trailers. It's not a tremedous savings but for finding one single way to screw MD out of a dollar is priceless to me.

Now, some of the pansies around here will start wondering if this is legal and the ramifications if you were in an accident. From all the research I found (that someone else did from the MD code), it is. There is a little bit of gray area in the MD code that says you can have as many out of state registered trailers as you want; PROVIDED that you first have one trailer registered in MD. However, this is thought to apply to ONLY commercial trailers. I already had a MD tag on another of my trailers so I just kept that to be safe and added the Maine tag for my other trailers but I don't think I really needed to. However, I feel my new set up is at least better than when I took the one MD tag I had and "shared" it among all my different trailers; but don't tell any body I ever did that or post it on the internet....

SJ

GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:58 pm

WOW only $6 a year here in PA. I get a 5 year renewal for $30
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R

Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Hmmm, Pa or Maine? And in Wisconsin, no tag at all! My brother got pulled over on a trip through KY, & officer let him go after seeing WI driver license. Sooo Ken, how many trailers you have? Does it add up now? I have 4.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:10 pm

GearedUp wrote:WOW only $6 a year here in PA. I get a 5 year renewal for $30
Doesn't PA have an annual inspection requirement? No such thing in Maine, or Md either...

GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:47 am

Skinny-J wrote:
GearedUp wrote:WOW only $6 a year here in PA. I get a 5 year renewal for $30
Doesn't PA have an annual inspection requirement? No such thing in Maine, or Md either...
Only on larger trailers with brakes. My camper requires inspection, but my 2 small trailers dont.
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 am

Bork wrote:Hmmm, Pa or Maine? And in Wisconsin, no tag at all! My brother got pulled over on a trip through KY, & officer let him go after seeing WI driver license. Sooo Ken, how many trailers you have? Does it add up now? I have 4.
One - no space for more!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

MD trailer registration is 65 a year for mine. I am awaiting my Maine tag. 15 a year. Md sucks.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!