I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wasp progress report

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Wasp progress report

Post by Rut Row »

More updates

The sub-frame had been repaired in the past. Wingfixer will attest that the repair job was a bit, shall we say, marginal. There are gussets at this spot and I don't know if they were originally there or added. Anyway, new cracks have formed in the previously repaired spot. I guess the previous monkey was a heavy-weight! :lol2:

Since we were deserted by Racer Al (traitor :foul: ), I'm taking it to Mark Bailey on Monday. I'll discuss with Mark whether or not the gussets are big enough. I'm not worried about Bucho breaking it but some of you... welllll, let's just say a little extra reinforcement wouldn't be a bad idea! :amazon:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Why do I feel like that might have been directed at me? :eats:

Ken, I am not sure I will get by there with your part today, I got this tag commitment and then I gotta pick my boy up at school out in Sterling. If only he was big enough to ride I could combine all three, then you guys could visit me in whatever hospital I end up in after his mom got done with me.... :beathorse:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:Why do I feel like that might have been directed at me? :eats:
Not at all, unless you are a welder!
Wingfixer wrote:Ken, I am not sure I will get by there with your part today...
No big deal - whenever and I owe you some :freakey: for helping me out!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Kyler wrote: Since we were deserted by Racer Al (traitor :foul: )
Hey now, be nice.

Trust me, I'd really rather have not had to move my DAMN shop and given away ALL my hard-earned stash of metal stock. :boohoo: BTW, file under "small consolation": Mdubya was right about the riding out here. Where's the "rubbing salt in the wounds" smiley? :rickey:

Anyway, if you're going to race something with a steel frame, you need to learn to weld, IMHO. It's just like knitting. You know how to knit, right? :poser:

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:
Kyler wrote: Since we were deserted by Racer Al (traitor :foul: )
Hey now, be nice.
You're right :hug:
Roadracer_Al wrote:Trust me, I'd really rather have not had to move my DAMN shop and given away ALL my hard-earned stash of metal stock. :boohoo: BTW, file under "small consolation": Mdubya was right about the riding out here. Where's the "rubbing salt in the wounds" smiley? :rickey:
Uh-oh - mdubya's gonna have a swollen head for a while.
Roadracer_Al wrote:Anyway, if you're going to race something with a steel frame, you need to learn to weld, IMHO. It's just like knitting. You know how to knit, right? :poser:
I can knit pick, does that count? :rayof: I'm enrolling in Fredneck Community College's welding class this fall. :hi5:
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Right on! I loves me some welding.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Ken, from the VA tag game, thought you might enjoy seeing one on the road, hack that is.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... count=4252

I got yer part all fixed up, might bring it over Saturday, I will be in the cage though and with my little boy.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:Ken, from the VA tag game, thought you might enjoy seeing one on the road, hack that is.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... count=4252

I got yer part all fixed up, might bring it over Saturday, I will be in the cage though and with my little boy.
I approve! Although that hack looks mighty comfy. I'll bet the monkey has gotten lazy :fitz:

First thing Saturday I'm headed to Boonsboro to have the frame looked at. I'll be back around 10 or so. and I look forward to meeting the youngest DAMN rider!
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Take Racer Al, give him a proper 2-car garage, stock it with industrial grade tools, 30-ton press, milling machine, lathe, MIG & TIG welders ...

Add a short-track dirt track course beside the garage and a plethora of DTX and framer flat track bikes, a wall covered in trophies and race pictures...

and you have Curtis Fisk, who lives about 20 minutes from me NW of Boonsboro!

I left the Wasp with him this morning to repair the sub-frame. The gusset that had been added wasn't chrome moly and the brazed repair was definitely cracking. He's going to replace the gussets with proper chrome moly gussets, clean out the brazing, add reinforcements, and look over the frame and tell me if any of the other repairs need repairing.

We talked bikes, racing, flat track, etc for well over an hour.

This afternoon I cleaned the carb and put it back together. With luck, the filters will come in this week and next weekend I reassemble the Wasp!
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Don't forget to take pix! Being a chassis geek, I want to see it with the plastics off from every angle.