The End of Windshield Wipers?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

The End of Windshield Wipers?

Post by Firebolter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 am

The reign of the windshield wiper could be coming to an end.

The McLaren automobile company is working on a vibrating windscreen designed to clear away water and debris, The Sunday Times reports.

McLaren chief designer Frank Stephenson says the design is based on fighter plane technology that uses high frequency sound waves to repel rain, bugs and other potential obstructions.

The windshield wiper was invented in 1903, and the concept has changed very little since its introduction.

Originally a hand-cranked device, electric motors were soon added, but major advancements since have been limited to intermittent systems and rain-sensing capabilities, none of which has affected the basic idea of the wiper blade itself.

By removing traditional wipers, the aerodynamics of a vehicle can be improved and its weight reduced.

But while it sounds very advanced, one expert tells the Times that it could require only a small transducer to send 30 kHz sound waves across the glass and cost as little as $15 per car.

No word on when it will be put into production, or details if it would work effectively at low speeds or just on the highway and racetracks, but the first cars that use it aren't likely to be cheap.

McLaren's current lineup of supercars runs from around $230,000 to $1.15 million, although it is working on one said to be in the $125,000 range.
Lots of cool bikes---

BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Re: The End of Windshield Wipers?

Post by BillyGoat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

Can you imagine what thousands of cars would do when all of them have vibrating windshields and some animals (birds, dogs, etc) can hear in that range? What other kind of critters hear in that range? We'll wonder (again) why animals attack us! Again, check "law of unintended consequences"
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 pm

BillyGoat wrote:Can you imagine what thousands of cars would do when all of them have vibrating windshields and some animals (birds, dogs, etc) can hear in that range? What other kind of critters hear in that range? We'll wonder (again) why animals attack us! Again, check "law of unintended consequences"
Interesting thought. Would be nice if it would repel deer.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Hope the frequency stays in range, so glass doesn't break! :eyes: Tesla was also working on some pretty wild frequency applications. Cool stuff! :thumbup:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r

zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

how would it clear frozen ice off the windscreen when you go out and start the car in the morning or a couple inches of snow? :shrug:

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm

zamobro9 wrote:how would it clear frozen ice off the windscreen when you go out and start the car in the morning or a couple inches of snow? :shrug:
Magic :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:59 pm

zamobro9 wrote:how would it clear frozen ice off the windscreen when you go out and start the car in the morning or a couple inches of snow? :shrug:
I would be like the ice and snow on my hood the other day, hit a big enough bump and it all goes flying into the air at once.

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 am

Defroster to melt then is runs down the screen. 30Hz makes a very small vibration which makes the water "run" or effectively creating a vibrating ultrasonic force

I can't use my wipers now when I get snow and ice all over my windscreen. Crank up the car, let it sit for 5 min to warm up and the defroster makes the front and back screens clear up good. I like my remote start, best option I ever got on a car, for winter anyway.
Lots of cool bikes---

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 am

Longboardr wrote:
I would be like the ice and snow on my hood the other day, hit a big enough bump and it all goes flying into the air at once.
I think I was behind you the other day :dirtdog:

Just kidding but I do seem to get irritated when I see people who don't clean off their cars :shrug: