I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD Registration Help

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: MD Registration Help

Post by J&J »

Don't want to open a can of worms about legality but can you renew the Rhode Island tag? :shrug:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boneyard wrote:I appreciate all of the suggestions but I am struggling to see how I will be able to get my 2011 KTM 280 XCFW registered in MD...getting a little worried as I wanted to race the ECEA Enduro's and do some Turkey Runs.

From what I heard I would need to add a brake light switch, turn signals, license plate lights, chain guards, ODO, etc.......Do all off road riders in MD actually add all this stuff to get a registration? Are there any other options...besides moving to PA?

Basically the answer is YES. But remember there is no annual inspection like alot of other states so after you pass inspection you can strip all that stuff off (probably leave the head/tail lights) and through it in a box.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

yes and no. There are kits available and it isn't all that much work.

Living in MD doesn't present very many opportunities to ride without being street legal.

Don't forget the great dual-sport rides such as the Hammer Run and the Shen 500.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

It is not that difficult, I did it with a 525 just buy purchasing the needed items individually. Send me a pm and I can provide more info.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I took a "dirt bike" and did all of that and more to get it past PA's -enhanced inspection- required to convert off road bikes to street legal and to get a tag.
So, it can be done easily enough with kits/components available. It's worth it.
Try google or sell yer scoot to me :lol2:
Bruce
Boneyard
DAMN n00b

Post by Boneyard »

Thank you all for the help. I will buy what is needed and see how it goes......
Boneyard
DAMN n00b

Post by Boneyard »

Kyler wrote:yes and no. There are kits available and it isn't all that much work.

Living in MD doesn't present very many opportunities to ride without being street legal.

Don't forget the great dual-sport rides such as the Hammer Run and the Shen 500.

I did the Hammer run last year and loved it. I will definitely be there again this year and would appreciate meeting anyone headed up. I hadn't heard of the Shen 500 but will look into it. Thanks.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boneyard wrote:I did the Hammer run last year and loved it. I will definitely be there again this year and would appreciate meeting anyone headed up. I hadn't heard of the Shen 500 but will look into it. Thanks.
watch the board. we'll definitely have a contingent at both and there will be threads started.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Boneyard wrote:I appreciate all of the suggestions but I am struggling to see how I will be able to get my 2011 KTM 280 XCFW registered in MD...getting a little worried as I wanted to race the ECEA Enduro's and do some Turkey Runs.

From what I heard I would need to add a brake light switch, turn signals, license plate lights, chain guards, ODO, etc.......Do all off road riders in MD actually add all this stuff to get a registration? Are there any other options...besides moving to PA?
I'd take it to a Harley shop where they know NOTHING about KTMs and let them inspect it. They're used to passing all kinds of things that should never pass and they should be some "help".
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

"Endurance" computer for speed and odometer, dual sport light kit, mirrors, turn signals, horn, a LONG chain guard like a street bike, and banjo bolt brake switches. Also reflectors on the sides but you can get them at the inspector. It's a lot of work but if you have "mcy" on your title, the hardest part is done. I bought two bikes that were already supposedly street legal yet both still took a few trips to the inspection station.

I wouldn't assume taking it to a Harley dealer would make it any easier. They are as afraid as anyone else of losing their inspection license.

Good luck,

Patrick

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200