ABRC course

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
stretchride
DAMN Expert

ABRC course

Post by stretchride » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:28 pm

FYI I took the ABRC safety course today in Gaithersburg via Montgomery College. I thought it was a pretty good deal, cheaper than at Frederick CC and much cheaper than the course at the Harley dealer (though I think that is the full 4 day course). This class was just one day, 9-6 (we were doneby 4p), with no classroom.

Something to consider if you want to get legal without going straight through MVA.

:roost:

Gene-TW200
DAMN Expert

Re: ABRC course

Post by Gene-TW200 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Do you have any more info on this ,my wife neds to get a bike endorsement . Thanks
Tw-200
Honda Ft-500
ST-1300
DR-650

stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah Gene, here is a link to the info:

http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/wdce/b ... urses.html

It was $245 and was one day, Saturday or Sunday, 9a-6p (though I was in my car by 4p). The class is meant for those with riding experience and all time is spent at the riding range, no classroom. Nighthawk or Rebel 250's are provided, though you can bring your own bike if preferred as long as its up to snuff/legal. Your day is spent practicing different portions of the riding test you face at the end and discussing info that will appear on the test. Have her read over the handbook ahead of time and she'll be good to go (I think there is a link to download it on that above link).

The BRC class is two 3.5 hr evenings of class time, then I think all day Sat and Sun and may include true beginners.

The riding is mostly slow stuff, cones, corners, u-turn box, with some sudden stops, swerves at up to 20mph thrown in. You take the riding test at the end followed by a 20 question written.

If she does it, let me know, I can go over some stuff in more detail if you like. I will tell you that only 5 of 10 of us passed (really on a couple looked pretty shaky, the other couple were just mental errors on the riding test and one passed the riding and failed the written) when I went, and the day before 9 of 12 failed :huh: . We were told that when the test began, the first person made certain mistakes that everyone saw and copied for some reason...

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Gene-TW200 wrote:Do you have any more info on this ,my wife neds to get a bike endorsement . Thanks

Unless they changed things, the Advanced 1 day course is for people who already have a motorcycle endorsement. I took this about 6-7 years ago and they turned one guy away bc he didnt have his license. And yes, everyone who showed up with their own bike ( liter sport bikes and big Harleys) failed the test at the end of the day. Except myself and one other guy.
Again these were all guys who already have their license. So failing was just sort of a reminder that they probably either belong on smaller bikes or need lots more practice.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Gene-TW200
DAMN Expert

Post by Gene-TW200 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Do we have any rider coaches here ? My wife took the class at FCC a few yrs ago and failed it right at the end of the course when she target fixated on the instuctor talking to her and she tried to run him over , I tried to help the first time she had a learners and ,,,, well you can guess how that worked out , so she is a work in progress and the little TW was intended for her to learn on , slow and almost unbreakable !
Tw-200
Honda Ft-500
ST-1300
DR-650

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 pm

The hagerstown College group is a class. Lots of track time. two nights of class. Instructors are not arrogant smucks.

My son and I took it last fall when he was going for his liscense.

And NO I DIDNT DROP THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:07 pm

bonehead wrote:And NO I DIDNT DROP THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but you did call your buddy to come get you... wanna 'splain that?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Kyler wrote:
bonehead wrote:And NO I DIDNT DROP THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but you did call your buddy to come get you... wanna 'splain that?

That was because MY BUDDY MADE-FORCED ME AT THREAT OF DEATH- to drive thru a 36" deep creek ford a feww days earlier so my sissy fuel pump contacts got a little wwet and the pump failed. Still not my fault BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm

bonehead wrote:That was because MY BUDDY MADE-FORCED ME AT THREAT OF DEATH- to drive thru a 36" deep creek ford a feww days earlier so my sissy fuel pump contacts got a little wwet and the pump failed. Still not my fault BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd that your buddy, who rode through the same creek, didn't have the same problem :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Kyler wrote:
bonehead wrote:That was because MY BUDDY MADE-FORCED ME AT THREAT OF DEATH- to drive thru a 36" deep creek ford a feww days earlier so my sissy fuel pump contacts got a little wwet and the pump failed. Still not my fault BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd that your buddy, who rode through the same creek, didn't have the same problem :shrug:

Wait until I see your bike next time!!!! :bandit: