I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ethanol

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Ethanol

Post by Rut Row »

The P3 sidecar has 4 Mikuni VM26SS carbs on it. Bucho and I were told to avoid using any fuel with ethanol. In fact, I drained the tank in Canada and refilled with local ethanol-free gas.

I was hunting for ethanol-free gas around here and there isn't any!

However, on further research, it appears that my fears may be over-blown. I was reading that on these VM carbs, all I need to do is replace the float valve needle and seat. The carb gasket is paper and okay.

The fuel pump is a modern pump so it should be okay. Same for the pressure regulator. I've got ethanol resistant fuel lines (have a few still to replace).

So, the big question becomes should I run some Sta-bil just to be safe?

ANy carb wizards/ethanol experts out there?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Re: Ethanol

Post by Taylor »

Yes, put it in or buy race gas. I have a buddy who has a repair shop and he told me to put Sta-Bil or Star-tron in anything that will sit for a week before used again.VP Racing Fuels make a fuel that is not race gas but is better than what you can buy at the pump. Cheap insurance unless you like working on carbs.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

No need to worry about ethanol if any of these places are close to you

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

All of my toys get fed ethanol free gas from a local station :thumbup:
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I've checked the "Pure Gas" websites. The data is old. Most are on the eastern shore anyways. Usually boat dock gas stations have it.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Eastern shore ain't close - the local airport doesn't sell ethanol-free mogas either :wallbash:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

100LL Brudder! The bike will thank you!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:100LL Brudder! The bike will thank you!
$5.67/gal :screwy:

Fuel Information (as of 05/31/2012 12:06)
Serving Shell fuel
24hr Self Service is available
Jet-A
Full Service: $6.09/Gal
100LL
Self Service: $5.72/Gal
Full Service: $6.47/Gal
Jet-A-Prist
Full Service: $6.14/Gal
Ken
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

What about Hagerstown by the track or 75-80 area maybe cam2?
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I've been using av gas in all my stuff except cars. Lawn mowers & weed eaters start so much easier, & its supposed to last two years. I pickle stuff with it now for the winter.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Kyler wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:100LL Brudder! The bike will thank you!
$5.67/gal :screwy:
Cheap compared to any of the VP, Cam 2/Sunoco, etc. offerings. My Scorpa can't have ethanol - it destroys the tank. I've been round and round looking at all of the options for a couple of years now. I'm currently buying VP C9 (unleaded, 96 octane) at $12/gallon. It hurts, but it's a hassle for me to get 100LL and there are no other ethanol-free options anywhere around. I'm surrounded by marinas and not a one of them has anything ethanol free. Fortunately, 5 gallons lasts me ~ 2 months in the trials bike so the cost isn't significant relative to keeping fuel in a regular dirt bike or a road-race bike.

I never tuned the bike for the 100LL and as a result, it never quite ran right. Not bad, but just not as good as with VP SEF94 or C9. Lots of trials guys use it successfully. I used it all winter (10 gallons worth) with no problems.

Be wary of the stations listed as ethanol free on the web sites... I bought from one on the list and tested the fuel. It contained ethanol.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap