I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Gaithersburg rider... new to here, new to motos.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
KIK ROX

Post by KIK ROX »

I got me a Husky (TE610) about a month ago and am eager to get out there and ride. :whoop:

I essentially have no experience riding a motorcycle, though I bought a '74 CB360 a year ago and turned it into a street tracker. At the time, I didn't have a license (actually I only got my permit last week), so I didn't really ride it except once to work in DC (CB360 on 270 @ 80mph sucks!) and a little around the neighborhood.
It was around that time that I realized what I really wanted was a dual sport, stumbling across ADVRider only cemented that thought. At first I didn't know what to get, then it looked like the DR650 was what I wanted, then the XR650R, then I found out about the TE610 and knew that's what I needed!
Now that I have it, I know its the right bike for me. I'm 6-2 and it fits perfectly. I could go on and on about why this is the right bike for me, but I won't bore you with that. I took it out last Saturday around northern Montgomery county backroads, but after ~2 hours of 40 degree temps, I had to head home (sidenote: I need a better jacket!).
Though I'm new to motos, I've been an avid mountain/road cyclist for the last 18 years. I feel very comfortable on the technical terrain we have around here and feel this will help me when I take the Husky out. I look forward to seeing you guys out there. :roost:
Here is a pic from last Saturday on Mt. Ephraim Rd:

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: New Gaithersburg rider... new to here, new to motos.

Post by Skinny-J »

Sweet bike dude!

The mountain bike skills will definitely come in handy, I do a lot of mountain biking and can attest (every Friday after work at Potapsco State park in Cattonsville, look us up some time). Although you will find the techinques you know on a 28 lb moutain bike don't always translate the same on a 260 lb motorcycle; the balance, weight transfer and over all confidence will help alot! And the great physical conditioning you get from biking will give you a big advanatage over some without any physical stamina.

Enjoy your new ride,

Jay
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

That is a really nice bike - I'm jealous!

I bet that would be a fun ride at the Hatfield McCoy Trials - See the trip planned for April 19th-22nd - Come join the fun

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2321
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Howdy newguy. The TE610 is a real nice bike. Start looking for a second set of wheels. Then you can have a wheelset with hardcore knobbies for offroad riding, and another set with more streetable rubber.

Mt Ephraim is a fun road, I remember finding that on an old street bike after a heavy rain. It had a couple inches of water flowing across a dip in the road. Made me start to want things like a dualsport bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Welcome to the DAMN group. The 610 is a great bike, I loved mine. Can't wait to get it back on the road again. As Bucho said, another set of wheels with street tires, really makes that beast fun on the pavement.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

huskys rock!!!! :welcome:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Welcome from another noob :rickey: Nice choice for your ride!
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
KIK ROX

Post by KIK ROX »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. I'll look into the Hatfield McCoy trip, what kind of terrain is it? Is my bike too big for there?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

KIK ROX wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. I'll look into the Hatfield McCoy trip, what kind of terrain is it? Is my bike too big for there?
You would need real knobbies. I used to do all my offroading on a DR650, and thats a heavier crappier bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
KIK ROX

Post by KIK ROX »

I might have to get some (any) off road miles under my belt before I try something like that. Anywhere to do that around here?