I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Help with new bike

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: Help with new bike

Post by phoo »

Boom Boom wrote:Husky, KTM, Gas Gas all came with "open titles" so plating was possible with out having to do a reconstructed title. The down side of buying used is many guys purchased for race / off-road use and did not title the bike as "MC" from new. Check the title very close before committing to buy, IMHO it is not worth the effort going through the reconstruction process, just keep looking till you fine a bike that is plated or has a "MC" title.
estart probably really isn't a requirement, but it sure would be nice.

This guy is local to me. 2002 KTM 300EXC. Does it fit the bill for what I'm looking for? The asking price is $1800, so I was thinking of trying to pick it up for $1500. How do I look at the title / ask the question about what kind of title it has? How do I tell if it's an "MC" title?

https://plus.google.com/photos/10741719 ... 9855312209

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Update from the seller:

"It's a PA title from the previous owner and it is signed but not filled out. I never had it transferred in to my name."

So, can someone tell me what I should look for on a PA title to ensure I can get this thing plated? Getting it plated is an absolute requirement because even Sandy Lane Enduro requires a plate, let alone dual sports like Hammer Run.

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I bought my bike in Pa with a title signed, form previous owner , before this seller. Cant remember if blank. Anyhow I found original seller & asked if he would send me a bill of sale, & he did. MVA Transfered the title for me. Then almost a year latter, I installed lighting stuff & did the inspection thingy & got tag! :loveit:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

phoo wrote: This guy is local to me. 2002 KTM 300EXC. Does it fit the bill for what I'm looking for? Thanks,

~Patrick
(Other than the lack of electric start) I think that should suit you. I think the 2002 is pretty much the same as my 99. I love mine, I don't think you are giving up much compared to a newer two stroke.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

phoo wrote:Update from the seller:

"It's a PA title from the previous owner and it is signed but not filled out. I never had it transferred in to my name."
So, can someone tell me what I should look for on a PA title to ensure I can get this thing plated? Getting it plated is an absolute requirement because even Sandy Lane Enduro requires a plate, let alone dual sports like Hammer Run.

Thanks,

~Patrick
If you lived in PA you would need to get the person that signed the title to go with you to the notary, PA notary has become real pricks, however when Bucho purchased my 300 KTM he had no problems with the MD DMV.
But the bill of sale and title was in the same persons name.
You may need to get the person that signed the title to give you a bill of sale.
If you show up at the DMV with a bill of sale and title in different names I expect you will have issues.
OBTW, nice bike and good price.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

BoomBoom (or anyone who might be more familiar with PA titles) -- is there anything I need to look at on the PA title to distinguish off-road only vs dual-use or "able to be plated"?

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

you might want to try those "tags in 10 minute places", i've had some pretty screwed up titles and they flew right through. my .02
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Under-Body Type- it should say "MC" and Make of Vehicle should say "KTM" or "SP Const" (special construction).
Title Brands- should be blank. Other than that it should be a normal looking title. I forget what my XR4 title had on it, but it was obviously not a "normal" looking title. This is true IF it was tagged in PA. If the bike wasn't tagged in PA then it would be an off-road title. Easy enough to get changed here.

Anyone else?

BOS from seller is a must. BOS from guy on title would be better. I'd ask your DMV cuz it might be a cluster. I have at least two bikes with titles that I never transferred. I hate giving the state more money- so I can understand why some guys do it.

Found a copy of my old XR4 title under -Body Type- it will say "ORV" if it is an off road title, with exempt for odo disclosure.
Bruce
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

So I just looked at the bike. I think it'll clean up fine.

It's a pa title. Under body type, it says "orv". It actually says 1 mile under odometer, as opposed to "exempt." Will I be able to get it plated in Maryland?

Thanks,

Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

phoo wrote:So I just looked at the bike. I think it'll clean up fine.

It's a pa title. Under body type, it says "orv". It actually says 1 mile under odometer, as opposed to "exempt." Will I be able to get it plated in Maryland?

Thanks,

Patrick
My husky title says mc. It came for PA. and it mc then too. You should ask him if it was ever plated. I think stay away from this one? Unless you want to go through the process to get it plated.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX