Anybody have a XR650L?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: Anybody have a XR650L?

Post by motojunky » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Firebolter wrote:Thanks for all the info. DRZs are cool, but for extended trips on freeway or cruising along at 70mph on back roads, that is towards the top of the 400/450 comfort zone. My 610 Husky is a great bike and has served me well, but I would not want to go smaller than ~600cc. I can run all day at 70mph and I am sure the Honda is the same way.
I was on a road trip on my XR650L on 9/11/01. I was in TN and decided to make a beeline for home. 500 miles at 75-80 straight and it didn't miss a beat. With the big front fender acting like a sail and unbalanced knobbies, there was a potential for wobble if I didn't ride relaxed but I learned to deal with it. :rickey:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 am

I LOVE my BRP. To me it is the quintessential dual-sport. It excels at nothing yet will do everything. I have ridden it from Baltimore TO the Shenandoah-500, rode the event, then rode it home. Same to Michaux, Greenridge and even the Durty-Dabbers. Lately, the x-tra time to ride the bike to these events has been in short-supply so I have been trailering-in more; and therefore I picked-up a WR to have something lighter for pure off-roading. However, I will never get rid of the pig; in fact, next summer I am planning a week long dirt-road ride from Baltimore to North Carolina and back just get some seat time on the Honda.

As far as valve adjustments, unfortunately I can’t comment. Mine has almost 11,000 miles on it and I have never bothered to check them; it just runs too good for me to consider it. I have read about guys with 20K, 30K and more miles on these bikes with no-problems which for an air-cooled engine it pretty awesome. I regularly change the oil and because the thing is such a torque monster, the rear-tire often. Other than that, just ride it and enjoy it; that’s the beauty of a simple old dinosaur…

OnOff
DAMN Expert

Post by OnOff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 pm

I have about 20,000 abused miles on mine. It gets flogged in the dirt and is usually running 75-85 on the highway when going somewhere. Valves? What are those? Mine have never been checked. Fill with gas, push button and go. I love the ground clearance on the pig :thumbup:
My only complaint is she sips oil but no smoke and never a problem. I change my oil/filter about every 3000-4000 mi.
Couple pix from a trip with Skinny J...
Oh yeah, the XRLs had ZERO problems on that trip.

http://imageevent.com/peteh/moabutahcyc ... 28.camel_s

Time spent riding is not deducted from one's life...

waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:56 pm

I love the picture with the red cattle herder on the bike, appears to be a plainface which is what mine is too but blue healer version. Here is a picture of mine how the hell did you ever get yours to sit on the bike ?
Picture 014.jpg
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510

OnOff
DAMN Expert

Post by OnOff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Not my pup but a smart one no doubt. He belonged to the caretaker of the cabin we rented. She was truly a free spirit living off the grid for many years and in the middle of nowhere UT. Her dog goes with her 24x7 and they get along like 2 humans. No, BETTER.
She just said get up and he jumped right up. She said BITE the tire and he bit my tire! LOL
There are 452 pix on the link I attached. GREAT trip and I miss UT BAD.
Time spent riding is not deducted from one's life...

waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:11 pm

OnOff wrote:Not my pup but a smart one no doubt. He belonged to the caretaker of the cabin we rented. She was truly a free spirit living off the grid for many years and in the middle of nowhere UT. Her dog goes with her 24x7 and they get along like 2 humans. No, BETTER.
She just said get up and he jumped right up. She said BITE the tire and he bit my tire! LOL
There are 452 pix on the link I attached. GREAT trip and I miss UT BAD.
That's funny mine has more a taste for exhausts, and and once in a while a license plate .
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:27 pm

If that had been Bucho's old dog Dozer, you would have a shredded tire
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Kyler wrote:If that had been Bucho's old dog Dozer, you would have a shredded tire
I only gave him worn out take offs. You wouldnt want him tearing up good tires.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 pm

That's awesome. If I could only pick one person to hang out with the rest of my life, it would be my dog. he has more personality than most humans!
Lots of cool bikes---