I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Post by BigBird »

BigBird is riding his WR250R Satruday (with Rick Mayer cushey seat :thumbup: ) and his KTM XCW 200 Sunday.

Last year I did the opposite and was REALLY wishing I had the KTM when I got to the one difficult :foul: (for me anyway) option at the very end of the Sunday ride. I'll ask but I would imagine it will be the same this year.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Grreatdog
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Grreatdog »

That AA trail was just plain ugly coming at the end of the ride. Looking at all those rocks after two days of rocks made me consider bailing out. But I was too stupid to bail. Especially since the LC4 once tried to squash me there on previous year when I looped it backwards off a big rock. At least I think it was that trail.

It kind of all turns into one long beating after a few years of these things. That incident and monster endo two events ago are pretty much why a nifty little 200 pound two stroke that doesn't accelerate like a top fuel dragster is sounding good to me. I am thinking it won't hurt as much when it slams me onto the rocks and jumps on me.

I guess a smarter guy would just slow down. :whoop:
KTM 640 LC4E
KTM EXC 525
XT200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Just follow Big Birds line through the rocks, with his newly honed rock riding skills he will float through that sections like it was a paved road :brows:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

[quote="Boom Boom"]Just follow Big Birds line through the rocks, with his newly honed rock riding skills he will float through that sections like it was a paved road :brows:[/quote]

Boom Boom - SARCASM and making fun of OLD folks is NOT NICE :nono:

This is expecially the case when you recently got to enjoy watching me flip my bike and slide down a couple of rocky hills on my back (like an upside down turtle) :lol2:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Ya know, there is no shame in "bull doggin" down tough sections. You know, get off the bike and walk/push it through the really knarly stuff. Many times I do that and get through with less energy expended and no damage to me or the bike. Especially on those sections where the danger of off camber falls in the wrong direction (down hill) is imminent. Guys may make fun, who cares, it's all about getting through the section in the fastest and safest method you have in your "tool box". :gdog:
Lots of cool bikes---
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Firebolter wrote:Ya know, there is no shame in "bull doggin" down tough sections. You know, get off the bike and walk/push it through the really knarly stuff. Many times I do that and get through with less energy expended and no damage to me or the bike. Especially on those sections where the danger of off camber falls in the wrong direction (down hill) is imminent. Guys may make fun, who cares, it's all about getting through the section in the fastest and safest method you have in your "tool box". :gdog:
My problem is that my "tool box" seems a little lacking when it comes to the serious UP hills :lol2:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Latest news
The countdown has begun to the start of one of the best dual sport events on the planet!

Interesting facts about your fellow riders in this year's event:
- Ages ranging from 18 to 82 years
- Traveling from as far away states as Wisconsin, Florida and New York
- Bikes ranging from 200cc to 1200cc
- One rider is an AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame inductee

The following contains important information about the event. A printable PDF file containing this information along with additional details is available for download at -
http://nvtr.org/docs/2011_S500_Info.pdf

The Washington Area Trail Riders thanks you for joining us for the 17th annual of the 2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport. Home base for this event is at Natural Chimneys Regional Park in Mt. Solon, Virginia.

Registration Sign-In and Tech Inspection:
Friday 5:00 - 8:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday 7:00 - 8:30 AM
Riders’ Meeting:
Saturday & Sunday 8:30 AM

Riders' meeting begins promptly at 8:30 AM both days. Come to the riders’ meetings! Don’t miss out on important course information and any last minute route changes. Our special awards and giveaways will be presented at that time.

The ride begins immediately following the riders' meeting both days - be prepared to start your ride. Sweep riders leave the campground at 9:30 AM to pull down trail markers, so there will be neither trail markings nor support available after that time, up though that location.

The Course: About 150 miles each day. Gas is available but you'll need about a 65-mile range. Most of the trail is open to 4WD traffic. Expect vehicles around blind corners; please stay on the correct side of the road.

Private Property: Some parts of the trail cross private property and we must obey the posted 10 mph speed limit in these areas or risk losing it. You are required to display your rider tag to gain access to these sensitive areas. We ask you not publish the information from the roll charts and/or maps online or in any public forum.

Natural Chimneys is a public park - helmets required at all times, no pit racing, no alcohol, obey the speed limits, no motorized vehicles on the perimeter trail and keep the noise to a minimum to avoid disturbing other campers. Pets on a leash are welcome.

Food: Lunch on Saturday and Sunday is included in the registration fee. You must carry your lunch ticket with you! The Mt. Solon VFD (close by) will be offering a hot breakfast Sat & Sun morning from 6AM – 8AM. They will also host Saturday dinner.

Weather: Weather can be variable in the mountains at altitudes up to 4400 feet where we ride. Make sure you have a jacket and rain gear, just in case.

What to do when you arrive:
1. If you are camping, stop at the park office, register and head to your camping site.
If you are not camping, park in the lot to the left as you enter the park's access road.
Unload and ride slowly to the end of the access road to Shelter #3.
2. Rub your head and chant:
"This-is-not-a-race-this-is-just-a-fun-trail-ride-with-my-friends."
3. Take your bike to Tech Inspection outside Shelter #3. Tech Inspection & Registration Sign-In are open Friday 5:00 – 8:00 PM, Saturday & Sunday 7:00 – 8:30 AM.
You must have a valid driver’s license and your bike needs to be street legal.
Please have ready your drivers license and current motorcycle registration matching the license plate mounted on the back of your bike (not on your chest protector). No photocopied license plates will be allowed. Bikes will be checked for sound, safety equipment, spark arrestor and current registration matching your license plate. Your bike must clearly show a “USFS-Approved” spark arrestor and pass an AMA sound test. ORV access is just too fragile these days and we have to play by the rules.
4. After completing tech inspection, you will be given a ticket. Take this ticket to registration sign-in inside of shelter #3 (right behind tech inspection).
5. Your next stop is AMA membership verification. Please have your AMA Membership card ready. AMA memberships will be available for purchase, if needed.
6. Next you will pickup your rider packet via one of the rider packet lines separated in groups by last name. In this packet you should find your bike name tag, lunch tickets, course maps and roll charts. Please double check that your rider packet has all of these items before you leave sign-in. Roll charts have already been cut for you, but you will need to tape the sheets of paper together (tape provided). If you don’t have a roll chart holder, we will have some for sale ($20 each, first come-first served). The following page contains information on how to better understand our provided roll charts, if you are not familiar with them.
7. Next you will pickup your free event t-shirt. Additional t-shirts will be available for purchase.
8. Show up each day at the riders' meeting at 8:30 AM.
9. Lastly, repeat step 2 three times!

Don't forget to bring your lunch tickets, course map, driver’s license, registration, tools and at least $40 cash for gas and any emergencies. Ride safe and have fun!

Extremely Important!
As participants of the Shenandoah 500, you are ambassadors to the world of Dual Sporting. The Forest Service and its neighbors watch us closely. Please DO NOT GIVE THE GATEKEEPERS TO THE FOREST ANY REASON TO DENY US IN THE FUTURE!

DON’T JEOPARDIZE THE FUTURE OF THIS EVENT!

Directions
Take the Bridgewater exit off I-81 (Rt. 257) 3 mi. west, then South 4 mi. on Rt. 42. Bear right on 747 West 4 mi. to Mt. Solon then right on 731. Go 2 mi. to park entrance on right.

Approximate campground GPS coordinates:
N38.35197 W79.08767

More Information
The Washington Area Trail Riders wants you to have a great time! If you have any questions, please email us at dualsport@nvtr.org

Camping Fee: Camping for Friday and Saturday is not included in the registration fee. You must make your camping reservation through the campground.
Campground office: 540-350-2510

Day Parking: Day parking is available in the lot on your left as you enter the park's access road. The parking area will be marked.

We can't wait to see you on the trail with us next weekend!
Washington Area Trail Riders
dualsport@nvtr.org
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp »

Bit wet at the moment. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

You have a nice setup Gary, I'm a little jealous.
We'll see you Friday evening.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

GearedUp wrote:Image
Bit wet at the moment. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Taking the whole week! Now that's doing the trip properly...
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
'10 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4
Eastern TransAmerica Trail 2011