I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

XR400 battery

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

XR400 battery

Post by Laoch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:31 pm

OK...I need to get better electrical in this thing (without spending any $$) :lol2:

I currently have the Tusk/RMATV DS kit, and it works well. I have the headlight and stock tail light running off the bike's power.
The LED tail, brake, horn and signals are run from a rechargeable battery pack. 10000mah/ 12v/ nicad. The first battery seemed to die, and it wouldn't charge. So I got another...it's good for maybe an hour? Which really sucks.

So, what to do?

I think I can add a rectifier and charge the battery from the bike.
Question:Can I charge a nicad with DC (through rectifier) from the bike? Will nicads recharge that way?

Or I could find a small lead acid battery, and do the same? Keeping nicad as a back up.

Other options- wire stock taillight for brake lights- tried and failed :shrug: Not sure where I went wrong. Still working on it.
Or cut the wire for LED taillight and only use brakes and signals, may increase current batt life.

Eventually I'd like a new stator, but it's not in current budget and I need batt for lights for PA inspection.

TJ rides this thing and we get out and about about once a week or so. I'm getting leery of him riding it because the elec power dies so quick. It always has a nice bright headlight and the tail is always on, but I gotta get something better figured out.
In a year or so he may inherit the KLR, as I up(down)grade to a newer DS ride. I need a good year or so life outta the current DS kit.

Blah, blah blah :screwy:

Any ideas?
Bruce

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: XR400 battery

Post by Bucho » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Is this just so you can have lights while riding around on the pavement?
The XR's are kickstart right, so a dead battery doesn't really affect starting or anything right?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Bucho wrote:Is this just so you can have lights while riding around on the pavement?
The XR's are kickstart right, so a dead battery doesn't really affect starting or anything right?
Right. The battery only runs the LED signals, LED taillight/brake and horn. Probably similar to your setup.
Bruce

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:44 pm

That XR is probably nicer on the street then my 2-stroke.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Bucho wrote:That XR is probably nicer on the street then my 2-stroke.
It's great on back roads and gravel :thumbup:

It could use different cogs, but it'll always be a dirt bike first.
Bruce

Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm

dirtygrunt wrote:OK...I need to get better electrical in this thing (without spending any $$) :lol2:

I currently have the Tusk/RMATV DS kit, and it works well. I have the headlight and stock tail light running off the bike's power.
The LED tail, brake, horn and signals are run from a rechargeable battery pack. 10000mah/ 12v/ nicad. The first battery seemed to die, and it wouldn't charge. So I got another...it's good for maybe an hour? Which really sucks.

So, what to do?

I think I can add a rectifier and charge the battery from the bike.
Question:Can I charge a nicad with DC (through rectifier) from the bike? Will nicads recharge that way? If you have the nicads now, you already have rectifier.

guy wa
Or I could find a small lead acid battery, and do the same? Keeping nicad as a back up.

Other options- wire stock taillight for brake lights- tried and failed :shrug: Not sure where I went wrong. Still working on it.
Or cut the wire for LED taillight and only use brakes and signals, may increase current batt life.

Eventually I'd like a new stator, but it's not in current budget and I need batt for lights for PA inspection.

TJ rides this thing and we get out and about about once a week or so. I'm getting leery of him riding it because the elec power dies so quick. It always has a nice bright headlight and the tail is always on, but I gotta get something better figured out.
In a year or so he may inherit the KLR, as I up(down)grade to a newer DS ride. I need a good year or so life outta the current DS kit.

Blah, blah blah :screwy:

Any ideas?
Here's what I just did, http://www.farplaces.com/dual.htm (This guy was in our DS club in Fl.) I'm running with no battery on my xr600 right now. But the horn didn't like the ac current, so I got a rectifier at Radiocrap for approx $3.95. (For horn only.) Everything else works great. You have to recharge your batteries from outside source? or bike is suppose to charge? If bike is suppose to charge , you already have the rectifier. small sealed lead acid battery is a better way to go & cheaper. check out the link.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 am

Bork wrote: Here's what I just did, http://www.farplaces.com/dual.htm (This guy was in our DS club in Fl.) I'm running with no battery on my xr600 right now. But the horn didn't like the ac current, so I got a rectifier at Radiocrap for approx $3.95. (For horn only.) Everything else works great. You have to recharge your batteries from outside source? or bike is suppose to charge? If bike is suppose to charge , you already have the rectifier. small sealed lead acid battery is a better way to go & cheaper. check out the link.
Nice. Yeah I want a small SLA and charge from bike.
Bruce