I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD DNR ORV impact meeting

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: MD DNR ORV impact meeting

Post by phoo »

I'm missing something. It could just be unfamiliarity with the area, but to me it looked like every crossing started and ended on a road. Were those illegal crossings?

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

Okay, so no go on getting a copy of the report pre-meeting. Doesn't make any sense to me. I typically don't conduct meetings without first letting attendees know what the agenda is... Maybe all government agency are starting to adopt the "pass it first, then you'll see what's in it" approach these days. :sheep:

DNR Response:

Although I understand your reasons for wanting a copy of the report in advance, the Department really wants to encourage people to attend the meeting and provide input. Therefore, we will make everyone aware of availability of the draft report at the meeting. Do you have contact information for your club or should we communicate through you? Thank you for your interest in ORV use on DNR land and we look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

So I basically sent back a second request for any info:

Thank you for the response. We understand you position and, of course, it has been our intention to attend the meeting regardless of previewing the report. This issue is of great concern to us as I am sure it is to all involved; therefore, we would like to contribute as many positive ideas as possible. Reviewing the report prior to the meeting would just afford us the opportunity to brainstorm amongst ourselves ahead of time, to provide a more thought out approach, taking into consideration all parties involved. With that being said, can you at least give us a "heads-up" on any highlighted items that might be of concern to ORV users, so that we can properly prepare for the discussion? Any information is greatly appreciated.

The easiest way to communicate with our club would be through me at this point. As I said, we should have a few members in attendance at the meeting, as well as members from other riding clubs. I understand that a representative from the Northern Virginia Trail Riders (NVTR) is also planning to attend. I will forward their representative's contact information once it is received or will ask them to contact you personally.

If i get a response, I'll post.

Ken, I don't have an email address for you, so if you want to contact John Wilson to give your contact info:

John F. Wilson
Associate Director
Stewardship
Land Acquisition & Planning
Tawes State Office Building E-4
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
(410) 260-8412
Email: JFWILSON@dnr.state.md.us
bunch of bike I don't ride...
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

Got a response:

Michael: At the risk of over-simplification, the major issue is that some of the ORV users are not staying on the designated trails and are impacting the sensitive resources that DNR is charged with protecting, the existing trails can not meet the current demand, and, as a result, we may need to assess the opportunities for new trails in the State of Maryland. It would be helpful if the users could provide criteria to use to assess new trail opportunities and suggestions on areas that might possess opportunities for evaluation. Please let folks know that I need a head count for the meeting; they should email me with their intent to attend and contact information. Hope this helps you and your fellow riders prepare for the 23rd. Thanks.

This statement probably creates more questions than answers. Being forever the cynic I find it hard to believe that Maryland would actually open up new areas for OHV's. Anyway in the spirit of cooperation, thoughts on the issues...:

Reading back through it looks like 5 DAMN people are planning on attending, NVTR not included. I'll send that on and update if anyone else says they want to attend in the next couple days.
bunch of bike I don't ride...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Mike - you can be the DAMN mouthpiece (since we aren't a club)

I'll email him as the NVTR rep

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Here's what I sent
Mr Wilson,

I will be attending the MD DNR ORV impact meeting on March 23, 2011. I will be representing the Northern Virginia Trail Riders (NVTR).

The focus of NVTR is to promote the sport of off-road motorcycle riding. NVTR was founded in 1970 and officially Chartered on June 29th, 1971. Our goal then, as it is now, is being able to benefit the sport - and ourselves! - by identifying riding areas, sponsoring competitions, fun events, and public awareness programs. The aim has always been to provide high quality riding experiences for our members. The NVTR contributes heavily both in volunteer work as well as financially to the public resources we utilize as well as the communities around those resources.

NVTR is active on national, state, and local levels to secure trail-riding areas. We've worked with the George Washington National Forest in western Virginia for many years and have adopted the Taskers Gap ORV trail system near Edinburg, VA. We develop, maintain, and just plain roam around its 25+ miles of trails. We're negotiating with the Forest to increase the total miles of trail available for ATV and motorcycle use, and have received Syms National Recreation Trail Act funding for the project. We also explore possible access to private lands for NVTR member use.

We realize that the future of off-road riding is dependent on our public image. Our members believe in riding in a safe and responsible manner so that we can protect ourselves and our riding opportunities. We stress that the bikes are properly equipped and maintained as well as ridden in an appropriate manner. We are very conscious of the environmental impact of our activities and work in a responsible manner to minimize that.

Our members are frequent users of the ORV loop at Green Ridge and we look forward to being a positive contributor to Maryland's ORV planning.

v/r,

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mtd679 wrote:Michael: At the risk of over-simplification, the major issue is that some of the ORV users are not staying on the designated trails and are impacting the sensitive resources that DNR is charged with protecting, the existing trails can not meet the current demand, and, as a result, we may need to assess the opportunities for new trails in the State of Maryland. It would be helpful if the users could provide criteria to use to assess new trail opportunities and suggestions on areas that might possess opportunities for evaluation. Please let folks know that I need a head count for the meeting; they should email me with their intent to attend and contact information. Hope this helps you and your fellow riders prepare for the 23rd. Thanks.
there is a logic bomb here. Their logic is move us to a new forest and new riding area to reduce damage. what is the difference between trail damage in an existing forest and damage in a new forest? none.

btw, all users stray from the trails regardless of what they ride - bikes, cycles, horses atvs, etc.

So we need to politely challenge their data on the straying users.
Ken
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Re: MD DNR ORV impact meeting

Post by Grady »

OldmanX wrote:Have you guys watched the video that's linked to this document? http://www.magicalliance.org/download/n ... l-2009.pdf

Go to the 2nd page and click on the "You Tube" link and you'll see what I mean. If you have a You Tube account, you can comment on the wisdom of posting up such videos, along with then stating the location where they were made. Maybe the OP of the video can be prompted to modify it or take it down.
These were all legal crossings on public roads with a legal vehicle. They are cross at your own risk crossings.
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

Not only legal, but I think they might have found the most responsible Jeep owner video in existence. I remember most of those roads and crossings, not all of them fondly. :peep:

The meeting is in Owings Mills in a week correct? I'll probably be there.
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

skierd wrote:Not only legal, but I think they might have found the most responsible Jeep owner video in existence. I remember most of those roads and crossings, not all of them fondly. :peep:

The meeting is in Owings Mills in a week correct? I'll probably be there.
I thought you were headed out on a journey skierd?

So what kind of turn out would be best for us, I would like to go as a supporter, but having only rode around Green Ridge on the roads and not the ORV trail I cant comment in regards to anything there.

But if you are looking for supporters, let me know..I'll be there
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Im working that evening, not sure if I can make it. If we are short on supporters going, Im sure I can take an hour or of leave and make it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200