I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Howdee! I'm new to the forum.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Howdee! I'm new to the forum.

Post by Wingfixer »

The first flat I ever had, with a tubed tire, happened while I was on a ride with SkinnyJ and a few other guys. He had this nifty stand we used on my bike then:

I thought about getting one but after getting the flat pictured a few posts above I decided the "kick her over" method works just fine. One less thing to carry.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

that is a nifty stand! based on a mysterious anti-gravity device I suppose?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

I have a center stand that should help. Of course, then the bike may become like a see-saw.

What's the best/quickest way to check if you have a pinched tube? I wouldn't want to put the wheel back on and then find out an hour later I pinched the tube. That would suck.

I've read that the best way to prevent a pinched tube is to inflate the new tube a bit before placing it in the tire and on the wheel, and also to use baby powder on the tube.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

the only way to detect a pinched tube is to inflate it and then check for a leak at some point later. So it really depends on how fast you want to get going again. Adding air is probably the best way to help avoid a pinch. Plus don't push the spoon in any further than necessary.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Add just enough air that the tube will hang off your finger with some bend to it.
A good set of mini spoons (3) will help so much in not pinching a tube and as Ken said only deep enough to hook the rim.
I carry a mini can of WD-40 spray to help the tire bead slip into place nice and even. Normally inflate to less than 15psi and the bead will not set without a little help.
On a big bike you will run much higher PSI so the bead is not much of a problem.
I will get flamed for this, but IMHO throw away the UHD tubes and run a standard HD tube.
UHD's are a pain to install in the best conditions and have had more issues than I ever had with a common IRC HD tube.
Sounds like we need a DAMN tire changing gathering.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Kyler wrote:that is a nifty stand! based on a mysterious anti-gravity device I suppose?
It does look that way, don't it? You have to look closely. Or, in the case of our more mature audience (ahem) zoom in on the photo a bit.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Glad you signed up here - it's a good bunch of folks. I just wish I lived closer to all the rides :boohoo:

We'll get out on some good stuff one of these days!