I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

84 XL600R Carbs

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

84 XL600R Carbs

Post by bonehead »

Ok- I have an 84 XL600R I need the carbs adjusted or maybe rebuilt on. Where is a good place to get this done in Frederick area?
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: 84 XL600R Carbs

Post by motojunky »

bonehead wrote:Ok- I have an 84 XL600R I need the carbs adjusted or maybe rebuilt on. Where is a good place to get this done in Frederick area?
I don't know anyone out that way who could work on them. I will say that those carbs are quite the pain in the ass to get on/off, but once they're in your hands it's really no big deal. With winter close, why not just grab a manual and have at it?

I have a soft spot for old XLs and XRs. Got any pics?
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bonehead wrote:Ok- I have an 84 XL600R I need the carbs adjusted or maybe rebuilt on. Where is a good place to get this done in Frederick area?
He isn't cheap, but Chuck at Classic MC in Boonsboro has a small shop. :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Kyler wrote:
Does he offer better service then the honda dealer in Frederick?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bonehead wrote:
Kyler wrote:
Does he offer better service then the honda dealer in Frederick?
:shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

go to JT's in redrick. ask for Jim tell him KEN from DAMN sent you, i bet he will set you up right!!! for real... kyler is the man

What do you say, guys?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

JT's does good work and I trust him. Not sure if his mechanics won't go into epileptic shock touching something other than a KTM tho... :poser:

Call him and see
Ken
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I went to JTs on the drive home from Greenridge today. I talked to one of the eguys there in th eparts dept. Dont know his name but he is a good guy. He talked me into doing the carbs myself. I will order the rebuild kits and go from there. When I can't get it going I will ask you guys for help :thumbup:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

So I took the carbs of my "spare" 84xl600r. I ordered a complete rebuild set-up from Brad at Twigg cycle last week. The parts came in today :loveit: so I drove or was blown up there :lol2: and got them. Now I am going to spend the weekend rebuilding my spare carbs then put them on the XL. I hope to have this done by Saturday afternoon so the bike is ready for a sunday trial run. Then Monday go to Greenridge :ride: and see how much trouble I can get in.

Wish me luck. :rayof:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

bonehead wrote:So I took the carbs of my "spare" 84xl600r. I ordered a complete rebuild set-up from Brad at Twigg cycle last week. The parts came in today :loveit: so I drove or was blown up there :lol2: and got them. Now I am going to spend the weekend rebuilding my spare carbs then put them on the XL. I hope to have this done by Saturday afternoon so the bike is ready for a sunday trial run. Then Monday go to Greenridge :ride: and see how much trouble I can get in.

Wish me luck. :rayof:
Good Luck!

Are you working in a heated garage? If not, keep the carb boots in the house right up until install time. You want them to be as pliable as possible to avoid this: :foul:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap