I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anyone here done OCONUS work in Afghanistan or Iraq?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Anyone here done OCONUS work in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Post by the dude himself »

For financial reasons, I'm looking at taking a position offered to me in Afghanistan. Two years from now I could be out of debt, have the mortgage paid off, and have a very prestigious resume.

My question is this: is it worth it?

I know it's a 8' x 20' shipping container to live in, and that it's 7 days a week of work - not that there's anything else to do. I'd get 3 weeks of R&R every 6 months, with a large bonus for returning OCONUS.

What I don't know is is it safe? Where do you get groceries from? Is the internet decent (web-based college classes)?

Anyone with experience?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Anyone here done OCONUS work in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Post by Rut Row »

the dude himself wrote:For financial reasons, I'm looking at taking a position offered to me in Afghanistan. Two years from now I could be out of debt, have the mortgage paid off, and have a very prestigious resume.

I know it's a 8' x 20' shipping container to live in, and that it's 7 days a week of work - not that there's anything else to do. I'd get 3 weeks of R&R every 6 months, with a large bonus for returning OCONUS.

What I don't know is is it safe? Where do you get groceries from? Is the internet decent (web-based college classes)?

Anyone with experience?
where in Afghanistan and doing what? I have a couple of friends who just got back.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a buddy that did a year in Iraq, he had good things to say about the experience but he is a little crazy. I could get you in touch with him if you want to pick his brain about his trip.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

the dude himself wrote:For financial reasons, I'm looking at taking a position offered to me in Afghanistan. Two years from now I could be out of debt, have the mortgage paid off, and have a very prestigious resume.

Anyone with experience?
I don't want to steer you one way or another but since you asked...
I LOVE it there! Speaking only about the major bases (the outposts are completely different as you can imagine):
Obviously the paycheck is nice, but it's a whole different pace of life there...Don't have to worry about anything.
- The shipping containers are very well done and quite nice (much better than the old tents we had). Some people are still in plywood houses but those are also very cozy.
- If you weren't working 7 days/week then you would lose your mind trying to figure out what to do. My routine: workout, breakfast, work, lunch, work, workout, dinner, sleep. It made the day go by, got a ton of work done, and get in pretty good shape.
- The food is awesome (but I'm a Marine so I'll eat pretty much anything). No, really, there's even a variety of places to go there -- different mess halls and even a BBQ place to change it up once in a while.
- Groceries. Everything you NEED is taken care of. The hard thing about being there is to not spend your money on crap at the store like games, movies, etc. It's like a little town so there is most of what you would want somewhere around there.
- Internet - not bad. Better than Iraq and pretty stable. It's no FIOS, but it'll do. They have base-wide wifi and an internet cafe. Chances are that your work area will have a few computers too and that's probably your best bet.
- Safety. I always thought that the safest place to be would be a ship in the middle of a war. Everyone is alert and has BIG guns. 2nd to that I would like to think that on a US base in a war zone is relatively safe for similar reasons. Obviously we are there due to war so safety is always relative. However, if you are talking about one of the big bases such as Bagram, there is rarely anything that ever happens. And when someone does try something they die (recent attempt to sneak on base should be in the news somewhere). Anyway, I've got a different idea of what is safe and what isn't but from the first time you try to get on base yourself you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Shoot me a pm or email if you have any other questions... I'm always looking forward to going!
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

You'll be fine.
Go to the gym, read a book, internet college, and spank vids. It's all good.
Just be prepared to be a little stir crazy.

Oh, and no riding. :lol2:

After 20 years of humping for Uncle Sam I seriously considered those jobs, but said f_ck it. You're young, do it.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Dudely - you can park your 990 here and I'll make sure the oil gets warmed up periodically :thumbup:

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
John Go

Post by John Go »

Yes, But my info is 46 years out of date.....
It was pretty cool back then. The rest of the world actually liked Americans.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

John Go wrote:Yes, But my info is 46 years out of date.....
It was pretty cool back then. The rest of the world actually liked Americans.
let me guess. That was a new rifle when that pic was taken? :lol2:
Ken