I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2010 Shenandoah 500, Mt. Solon VA - 10/2 & 10/3

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: 2010 Shenandoah 500, Mt. Solon VA - 10/2 & 10/3

Post by Grady »

What, no update on day one?
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Grady wrote:What, no update on day one?
Maybe they`er lost?

:peep:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I'm sitting at a wedding right now wishing I was there. Was hoping for an update. Maybe there was major problems and it was a horrible day of riding, then maybe I wouldn't feel so shitty about having to miss it again this year. Lol! Hopefully everyone's just tired from an awesome day of riding! I'm super jealous.
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

I road Saturday only. Great weather, nice riding. Ken and Phil road the wasp the entire day and survived both physically and mechanically. I know they did the option in the morning that had a few rocks on it :thumbup: . I saw Ken at lunch and he looked a little :knary:. Not sure if they road the afternoon option. They just came back to camp when I was heading out, so I know they made it back alive and riding. :ride:
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

teaser

as Trialsrider said, the Wasp did not break! :loveit:

We did the whole day but did not do the afternoon option - we were toast. :knary:

At one intersection whilst waiting on directions, Bucho just walked away from the hack and lay down - the monkey has a lot of work to do!

More tomorrow :whoop:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It was a great weekend, though I'm beat. I can't believe how sore and tired I am.

Ken and I packed up and ready to roll out Friday afternoon.

And here is camp.

Standing around at the rider's meeting.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The actual riding started w/ Patrick pulling the Wasp behind his truck. We finally got it started on a cold morning and set off. Monkeying the hack started off fine but after a few miles I could tell it was going to be a long day. About halfway through the morning we elected to do the first option. It was rough but we were managing. Till we came to a tough hill w/ several huge rocks and ledges. It wouldn't have been too bad on a regular bike, but w/ the hack we couldn't make it through w/out hitting some of the rocks and loosing all our momentum. After two attempts we found a way around it, but since it was less then 50 ft off the trail I think it was legal. We finally made it to the top of the mountain. There were quite a few bikes parked up there, I think some of them were suprised that a sidecar made it to the top.

Here is a group picture, but somehow Sam/BigBird was messing w/ his bike or something and isn't in it.

Then we continued on and finished the option. We went through a rough section that had a lot of rocks and some offcamber that was tough w/ the hack. And then there was a large tree across the trail. Ken and I didnt' jump it, but it was pretty easy carry the hack over it.
But some of the guys gave it a go.

Edit: this isn't Patrick, you can see him walking over to help in the background. Thats new guy Ovo, and he did a decent job of getting over a good sized log.

Greg

Sam had a slight bobble, but kept it on two wheels.

After this I didn't get anymore pics, b/c I simply too exhuasted. About 15/20 miles till lunch, I had pretty much had enough. Ken stopped at an intersection to figure out which way to go and I hopped off walked over to the side of road and laid down. Patrick was nice enough to tag off and monkeyed the hack till lunch. After that I was able to hop back on the Wasp and keep going. The last 20-30 miles would have been great if I wasn't exhausted. It was hairpin turn after hairpin turn. I managed to finish off but I was happy to make it back to camp and sit down. You couldn't paid me to monkey the hack for day 2.
I would say that Ken did a good job not killing us. There was about 300 chances to go off the side of a mtn.
I also forgot to add that there was about 15-20 creek crossings. While Ken was driving the Wasp he felt the need to blast every single one. He pretty much soaked me on most of them. I was wet almost the whole day and woke up the next morning barely able to talk.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

BigBird had a GREAT DAMN time!!! - THANKS to all the help all of the younger DAMN folks provided to get the old gezzer through the weekend!

Ken got us a GREAT DAMN campsite right next to DAMN headquarters and the rest of the DAMN crew. THANKS!

When BigBird, GAIL and Bandit arrived (late as usual) at 9 PM Friday - the DAMN crew had a DAMN fine bonfire going to sit around and tell lies, etc. - THANKS!

Jason led/navigated a goup of us around the main course and the options on Saturday. THANKS!

Jason and several of our group stayed with me on the side of the road for nearly and hour Satruday afternoon and helped me field strip and un-clog my KTM carb after it just quit running. THANKS!

Jason navigated us all back to the main course after we burned an hour on the successful carb repair thus keep us ahead of the sweep. THANKS!

The DAMN crew had yet another DAMN fine campfire going for us to enjoy Saturday evening. THANKS!

Sunday Ken (now back on his big KTM) took over as lead baby siter and alternatively lead and swept our group of Phil, Jason, Patrick and BigBird (now on his Yamaha WR250R) - THANKS!

Patrick, Phil and Jason set a DAMN BRISK pace that had BigBird really working just trying (with only limited success) keep them in sight. This was FUN!!! - THANKS!

For the last HERO section late Sunday - Phil and Patrick lead/pushed/drug/lifted Bigbird and the 300 lb. Yamaha thrugh some REALLY CHALLENGING ROCKY section. I'd probably still be out there without their DAMN fine help. THANKS A TON!!![/

So - due to all this great DAMN help from the younger folks - this old guy was able to have a SUPER weekend without having to get a campsite, do any course navigation, make any fires, or drag/push his bike through the HERO section rocks!
I couldn't have had all this FUN FUN FUN without YOUR DAMN HELP!!!
THANKS!!!
Last edited by BigBird on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

On day 2 the Wasp stayed parked and we were all on reg bikes. It was another cold morning, but the day never really warmed up. Ken, Patrick, and I were foolish not to bring an extra layer of clothing. We were all a little cold for the whole day.

Ken

Some cool guy w/ an awesome bike.

Sam tackling the same creek.

Jason blitzing a creek
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Did I mention it was cold. At a gas stop, Sam tried stuffing a garbage bag under his shirt for some extra insulation.

This corner tricked up Patrick. Luckily it was a just a minor low side, he was already on his feet and picking the bike up as I was trying to my camera out so I could snap a pic of him lying in the dust.

I also had a good get off. I got going too fast into a corner and grabbed too much front brake. I hit the ground hard enough that I didn't pop back up. The guys flagged all the other bikes coming along around me so I could lay on the ground for a few minutes. I just have some good bruises to remember it, no broken bones.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200