I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Question on Off-Road Only titled Bikes

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Question on Off-Road Only titled Bikes

Post by Ovo »

So I have already been bitten by the bug and I want something newer and lighter than my XT.

I am looking at the DRZ's but I also see all these dirt bikes that have been tagged. I looked at the DMZ site and really couldn't find anything on the titling and registration for an off road only bike, but I know a few of you have made that happen.

Adding all the appropriate lights, speedo, etc....what else is needed, a shaded inspection person? LOL

Just wondering so I can either broaden my search or narrow it to the KTM's and Suzuki's.

Thanks
Ovo
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Question on Off-Road Only titled Bikes

Post by Boom Boom »

PA has the MV 426-B form for "special construction" vehicles. I assume Ken will chime in with what he had to do for the WASP plating in MD.
Keep in mind most all euro bike come with "open" titles. Husky - Gas Gas - KTM - Husaberg - Beta. If buying new it is super easy, if buying used make sure the owner has a M/C title and not the Cert of Org slip of paper.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Phil is the expert on titling off-road bikes in MD. The Wasp wears "Historical" plates and didn't need an inspection. The rest of the story I won't post publicly if you get my drift.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:Phil is the expert on titling off-road bikes in MD. The Wasp wears "Historical" plates and didn't need an inspection. The rest of the story I won't post publicly if you get my drift.
Are you sure the DMV did not look at you and issue the plate for the owner and not the bike? :harhar:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

I have done it … Sort of… I had a dirt only KTM SXC tagged as a street legal motard…
In MD there are two things you have to over come

1. Inspection (unless it’s over 20 or 25 years old)
2. Title

Inspection is the easy bit – You need a DOT headlight , brake/tail light, turn signals, chain guard, speedo with ODO (not just a trip).. Keep in mind that the front and rear brake handle/pedal must BOTH independently turn on the brake light. Most dirt only bikes, only the rear brake turns the light on… With a few hundred bucks and some time – you can get one legal.. Here is a kit

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... 5Qod3mpy1g

Title is the NOT so easy part… Many Dirt Only bikes have the title stamped “not for street use” , which means you have to get that removed… You can try a number of different title services that re-title it another state – which you can use to title it in your state – but that’s a extra expense.. If you dont or cant go that route – you can get an appointment at the MVA to have it looked over (best is you already have it inspected) and it can be titled a custom one off (more expense and time). Some Dirt bikes come with a MSO only, no title – same deal with the MVA applies…

So while you can save a few $$ getting a dirt only bike – you are looking at some additional expenses and time to get it titled…

However, there are some bikes that you simply must have and want on the street, like the older KTM RFS bikes… The really NICE deal about KTM’s is that their title’s are NOT stamped for street use.. So with KTM’s you just need an inspection and you are in business.. As a large number of folks (like Ken) have tagged them – there are tons of references on how to wire up the Baja Designs kit to get it ready…

Personally, it’s NOT worth it to me for a bike that has a street legal version – sometimes the dirt only one has some added performance mods (like the DRZ-400E which has a FCR Carb and some other minor stuff – but it’s basically the same bike).. I’d rather get the Street only one (yea it’s a few $$ more) and ride it right away and as time / $ permits – add the aftermarket goodies as I go… At least that way I am riding allot sooner than having go thru the hassle…

Also, as folks in CA and other states have tagged – say two strokes – it’s getting harder and harder to tag em… I know there used to be tons of titling sources to clean a title – but they have dwindled as some states have gotten wise and won’t tag certain bikes based upon their VIN – which usually includes or has the type imbedded in the number… I haven’t heard of tags being revoked yet once they have been issued to an individual, but rumors say it’s coming… I have however heard of folks who bought a dirt bike that had previously been tagged, being refused a new tag on change of ownership, ie the new owner couldn’t get a tag.. It’s worth considering…
Last edited by hondahawkrider on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:
Kyler wrote:Phil is the expert on titling off-road bikes in MD. The Wasp wears "Historical" plates and didn't need an inspection. The rest of the story I won't post publicly if you get my drift.
Are you sure the DMV did not look at you and issue the plate for the owner and not the bike? :harhar:
Yup - the plate is HISTORICAL not HYSTERICAL! :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Save your time and frustration and buy a tagged bike. Or one that has a title and is street legal. There are plenty out there.

Just my opinion. :deal:
Bruce
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

dirtygrunt wrote:Save your time and frustration and buy a tagged bike. Or one that has a title and is street legal. There are plenty out there.

Just my opinion. :deal:
I am thinking the same thing...seems like it could be a lot of work and may end up getting shot down in the end.

Thanks for the information everyone, just wasn't sure how Maryland handled this scenario.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

HHR pretty much said everything I was gonna tell you. I did this w/ a TTR for my wife, but it was a pain in the butt.
My next dirtbike will probably be a KTM just b/c they have an "open" title as someone else put it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Don't forget about the huskys, most of them have "open" titles too.