I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

damn-it

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
b3h
DAMN Wanabe

damn-it

Post by b3h »

:rant:

might be out as soon as i got in.

seems the steering head bearings might be toasted. got some play in it now (not real bad).

noticed that the grease actually melted and ran down onto the rear of the front fender when i was down south in that 5 million degree heat.

gonna tear into it tonite and access the situation. anybody ever run accross this b4 ? any suggestions on a fix ( gonna try to inspect, re-pack and tighten to spec first)?

i'm doubting that bearings and races will be an item that is stocked as it was difficult to find a master link at any of the dealers around here.

:boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: damn-it

Post by Rut Row »

We spooked ya that bad eh? Seriously, this ride ain't that bad. This is an easy-peasie ride dude! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

Try Applied Industrial Technologies. Just take the old bearing with you for the measurement. If they do not stock it, they can usually have them in a day or 2, and a better quality at most likely at less than half the cost of OEM.

http://www.applied.com/
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

+1 on that. I'm so over paying OEMs for bearings. I rebuilt the entire bottom end on my wife's DR with $160 worth of bearings. OEM wanted nearly $400.

Unless you're converting from ball bearing to tapered roller bearing, the old bearing will have a part number on it, such as "6020ZZ". The numbers indicate size, the letters indicate what kind of shielding or sealing it has, and one- or both-sides. You absolutely must measure the bearings, however, as a safety measure: I discovered the hard/expensive way that DRz crank bearings have a standard number, but the letter suffix indicates that the width is thinner than standard. Measuring and comparing the specs would have avoided this mistake.

Most shielded bearings come with both sides, but can easily be removed with a sharp pick or small screwdriver.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Just grease them and snug them up. What makes you think they are toast?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC