I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Need mechanic to rebuild my '96 DR350S motor!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
SoPaRider
DAMN n00b

Need mechanic to rebuild my '96 DR350S motor!

Post by SoPaRider »

On April Fools Day no less, two days after my '96 DR350S turned 14 years old, the motor broke? after 36,675 miles, nearly all of them put on by me. I had made an appointment at a Suzuki dealer in Carlisle, PA for the 7th to have the valves checked and a leak down test done, after the motor starting making more noise than usual and was down on power, but I/we never got a chance to make the 35 mile ride there. The motor is still intact and shows no signs of external damage, but is locked up tight. While I start the search (see my WTB late model DR-Z400S or WR250R post at Jo Momma) for a "new to me" dualsport bike, I'm in deed of someome with the mechanical skills, tools and a place to first remove and disassemble the motor to try to determine what caused the engine failure, come up with a needed list of parts and then reassemble and install the motor. Dealers are either too busy this time of year to fool with the job or just too expensive, so I'm looking for an independent shop, a mechanic or anyone who would be interested in taking on the job and making some cash. I'm located in Chambersburg, PA six miles from Michaux State Forest and can provide my own transportation.

Thanks,

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Need mechanic to rebuild my '96 DR350S motor!

Post by Boom Boom »

Jeff, did you talk with Youngs ATV on Walnut Bottom Rd? I have been told they are reasonable.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

One letter, one word

B DIRT

he'll fix you up and is in your neighborhood :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Sux.

See if Bdirt has time.

Try Moto Tech in New Oxford.
http://www.mototechcycles.com

Lastly just give it to me, I'll haul it away for free :lol2:
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Motor rebuilds aren't that hard if you're organized and patient. It helps if you have a manual, but if you take careful notes (or video the disassemble and show the camera each part as it comes off and demonstrate orientation), it's pretty easy to work backwards for assembly. The big trick is to know which parts to replace. Replacing fewer parts than necessary or the wrong parts will lead to another failure.

I'm just wrapping up a totol rebuild on my wife's DR650. It's going to wind up costing a bit over $600, and will have a new piston, every ball bearing in the bottom end, new oil pump and pump drive gear, a crank off e-Bay, and all new seals and gaskets.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Darrell is a super nice guy that has rebuilt hundreds of engines. This is right up his alley, you can call him, he may have somebody more local or some good advice.

High Rock Cycles 240-727-5402

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1271