I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bike for wife recommendations

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Bike for wife recommendations

Post by Grady »

My wife would like to get a dual sport bike, since she has seen how much fun I have with mine. This won't be her first bike, so it doesn't have to be a beginner bike, but it will be her first off road capable bike. Were looking for something with an electric start and relatively light weight. It doesn't have to be a great street bike, because we have bikes for that. We're looking in the $3000 range. I just wanted to see what recommendations the rest of you DAMN guys had. We were kind of looking at the KLX250S because they seem like they fit the bill, and used ones come by fairly often in our price range. We've also considered the DRZ400S but were concerned about the weight and size. I would love to be able to afford a te250 but unfortunately even used ones are out of our price range. Just wanted some opinions from the rest of you guys.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Bike for wife recommendations

Post by mdubya »

There are lot's of nice dirt bikes out there for under $3K. Are you looking for something with a plate? That limits the options for something light weight and e-start. CRF 250 X might be a good choice. Or CRF 230. Not sure if the 230 is e-start. KTM had a 400 EXC which was considered an excellent trail bike.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Many, many choices, from the CRF230, to the XT250, TTR225/230, older DR200s, even the TW200. Super Sherpas and older KLR250's show up now and again. KTM 250 or 300EXCs?
I just picked up an older DR250 for under a grand, including shop bill to make it run. More $$ to get it right.
It's easy when she aready knows how to ride.
I think a DRZ400 is a little tall and heavy for a lady.

When you get one bring her to GR.
Bruce
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

The KLX would be a good bike. It has a low seat height & 29 lbs lighter than the DRZ. Alot less power though (which is probably fine). How aggressive does it need to be? Yamaha has a TTR 225 or something like that.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

She definitely wants a plated bike. It doesn't have to be an aggressive bike, but I'm sure she won't want a turd either. Being that she has no off road experience ( besides on a mountain bike) it's hard to know how hard she'll push it. She's rode my te610 before, but the height and power scared her. Also kicking that beast on the left is no easy chore sometimes. I think finding the bike that has enough power to have fun on, but not to much that she feels she can't handle it. Thats why the klx250 looked so nice, it seems to have a nice setup with front and rear disk brakes and a 6 speed trany. Some of the other small dual sports just seem to use such old technology. I don't see why any company is still using drum brakes on the rear when a $400 Chinese bike has full disk. We considered the option of buying a straight dirt bike and converting it to street legal, but I really don't have the time or patience for that, so we want one already street legal.
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

I agree with the klx. With a 35"-ish seat height she'll probably be fine. I've been searching for a DS for my girlfriend, but she's just not gonna make it on something taller then 32". I know they can be lowered, but I can't seem to find any small dual sports within a reasonable distance that are used. If nothing comes up, it looks like we'll be going with something new like an xt or dr. Good luck on the search, and maybe we can get together for a ride.
bunch of bike I don't ride...
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

My friend has a 06' KLX 250 with around 1K miles for $3,500. nice and clean, I am sure he plans on selling since he bought a KTM. I dont think he has posted it anywhere yet. He was just starting out when he got it and was very kind to the bike.

He wont be expecting a call on it but if your interested, Greg # is 443 * 904 * 4424

Joe
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I don't know if a KLX250 is all that short, but its a nice enough bike, (i've ridden my brothers)

The older DR350 dualsport was pretty decent but its just as heavy (or heavier?) then a DRZ400, and its geared a little tall.

You saw my wife's plated TTR, at least paperwork wise its not THAT HARD. If you find a nice dirtbike she likes its always an option.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I found this one in DC. I think I might go check it out if it's still available. Price is good, but I don't know the mileage. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 62104.html
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Grady wrote:I found this one in DC. I think I might go check it out if it's still available. Price is good, but I don't know the mileage. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 62104.html
Looks like a very good deal.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC