I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

supermoto wheels

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: supermoto wheels

Post by mdubya »

badguy wrote:Nice!

If I had the money for some real sumo wheels I'd do it, but since I have a spare front SV wheel (which supposedly fits in the DR forks pretty easily) I want to try to make something work for the rear one of these days...
From my experience, trying to make sportbike wheels fit usually costs just as much as a decent set of SM wheels, but they are twice the hassle trying to make them fit. And you end up with a wheel that isn't as strong as a regular SM spoked wheel. However, if you have the wheels and the resources to make it work... :thumbup:

The Warp 9's are a great way to go on a budget. If you are patient, you can find good deals on used wheels too.

Also... :brows: ... a good set of dual sport tires on your stock rims will allow you to do 90% of what a set of SM wheels will do. My personal favorites are Bridgestone Trail Wings. They can be had at a reasonable price and they are awesome, grip wise, on the pavement.

I did an "SM" weekend on the NC/TN border (moto heaven) a few years back, and it ended up being me on SM wheels and my 2 buddies on stock DS wheels with Trail Wings. They were dragging pegs and toes and knees as much or more than me. We switched bikes and I had no problem on the TW equipped bikes. That is the cheapest way to go SM until you can afford a "proper" set of SM wheels IMO.

I have also done plenty of pavement riding on knobbies. It is not good for the life of the knobbies, and the outright performance on knobbies is lower. But... :deal: ... you can have an awesome amount of fun on them sliding into the turns and lighting them up on the exit; some of the funnest riding I have done!
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

AccidentalWheelie

ok i think i got it heres my stuff Image
then mounted Image
and well gaurded of courseImage
caliper relocation Image
and almost finished product i also put blk frnt n rear fenders pix later Image
im not a computer guy so if this is f'd up sorry guys LOL :shrug:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Looks great! :thumbup: Just remember to put the address with the [img] tags on each end for the pics to show up.
21783mike
DAMN Expert

Post by 21783mike »

mdubya wrote:
badguy wrote:Nice!

If I had the money for some real sumo wheels I'd do it, but since I have a spare front SV wheel (which supposedly fits in the DR forks pretty easily) I want to try to make something work for the rear one of these days...
From my experience, trying to make sportbike wheels fit usually costs just as much as a decent set of SM wheels, but they are twice the hassle trying to make them fit. And you end up with a wheel that isn't as strong as a regular SM spoked wheel. However, if you have the wheels and the resources to make it work... :thumbup:

The Warp 9's are a great way to go on a budget. If you are patient, you can find good deals on used wheels too.

Also... :brows: ... a good set of dual sport tires on your stock rims will allow you to do 90% of what a set of SM wheels will do. My personal favorites are Bridgestone Trail Wings. They can be had at a reasonable price and they are awesome, grip wise, on the pavement.

I did an "SM" weekend on the NC/TN border (moto heaven) a few years back, and it ended up being me on SM wheels and my 2 buddies on stock DS wheels with Trail Wings. They were dragging pegs and toes and knees as much or more than me. We switched bikes and I had no problem on the TW equipped bikes. That is the cheapest way to go SM until you can afford a "proper" set of SM wheels IMO.

I have also done plenty of pavement riding on knobbies. It is not good for the life of the knobbies, and the outright performance on knobbies is lower. But... :deal: ... you can have an awesome amount of fun on them sliding into the turns and lighting them up on the exit; some of the funnest riding I have done!

Agreed, I run the Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the KLR and they are awesome street tires. Great in the wet, cold, warm, dry, ect... they just do what I ask of them.............. except the bike likes to take a nap every time it gets even near mud... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
AccidentalWheelie

Image after some tinkering
Image i am going to try the krylon fusion trick that ONOFF has going on to get rid of remaining white on headlight shroud and side panels , maybe a blk aftermarket tank who knows
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Accidental Wheelie - that setup looks badass :pimp:

mdubya wrote:From my experience, trying to make sportbike wheels fit usually costs just as much as a decent set of SM wheels, but they are twice the hassle trying to make them fit. And you end up with a wheel that isn't as strong as a regular SM spoked wheel. However, if you have the wheels and the resources to make it work... :thumbup:

Good points. I'm running the Trail Wings now and have broken them loose exiting a turn a couple times, but I think that's mainly due to the temperature...I'm sure they'll do everything I ask of them on the street once it warms up a little.

I was kinda hoping to have two sets of wheels that I could swap instead of changing tires, so I figured that the street set should be SM type wheels. If I can get another stock set for a decent price, maybe I'll go that route. There's a guy on Thumpertalk trying to sell a set for $900 :screwy: Even though it's a crazy price, it got me thinking about buying stock wheels and either using those (probably the best idea considering what you said) or relacing the hubs to 17" rims. Thanks for the advice!
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

you wheelie I love it man, that things gonna be soo much more fun :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
AccidentalWheelie

thnx guys i cant wait to get the tag bracket and led light from bajadesigns, also red renthal fatbars ,and a lil krylon fusion on those white parts should look baddass i wanna ride it sooo bad..only got to roll around the neighborhood feels incredible tho :ride:
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

update?
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)