I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

new OLD GUY

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

new OLD GUY

Post by BigBird »

I just picked up a 2008 Yamaha WR250R and plan to try to get, back in to some dirt road and off road riding, etc. after 25+ years! I'm excited to belong to this goup and am very impressed by your website/forum!

I live in Frederick (Braddock Heights) and when I last rode dirt bikes they had about 4" of suspension travel. So the WR250R feels TALL to me :>) I used to ride 125 Penton's (still have one in my garage) and a 250 Ossa MAR (also still in my garage) back in the 70s and early 80s (with folks like Don Kirkpatrick).

I've been riding a 2001 GL1800 and my road and mounitan bikes recently - so I'll have some MAJOR relearning to do on the WR250R.

My lovely bride of 45 years GAIL, and our small dog Bandit, have done a LOT of traveling on the GL1800 and we (including the dog) also ride quite a bit on our Tandem Road Bicycles and our Tandem Mountain Bicycle (a Ventana ECDM) so I haven't been TOTALLY away from the dirt for all these years.

I have a little connection to the off road motorcycle community in that my daughter Jennifer is married to Brent Riley - son of Richard Riley who owns Frerdericktown Yamaha.

I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW AND RIDE WITH YOU FOLKS!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: new OLD GUY

Post by Grady »

Welcome to the DAMN group :thumbup:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Fredericktown Yamaha is a good shop. I don't have any Yamahas anymore though.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BigBird wrote:I live in Frederick (Braddock Heights) and when I last rode dirt bikes they had about 4" of suspension travel. So the WR250R feels TALL to me :>) I used to ride 125 Penton's (still have one in my garage) and a 250 Ossa MAR (also still in my garage) back in the 70s and early 80s (with folks like Don Kirkpatrick).
Hey neighbor! I live down the hill from you and diagonal from the old Ingalls. Welcome and about DAMN time you found us!

perfect timing too - if you want to share a ride over to the meet/greet I can pick you up. I'm driving over as I'm hoping to haul my Wasp back.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

Welcome to DAMN Big Old Bird. I've been where you are now, an aging old school dirt biker getting a chance to do it again :thumbup: Sound like our dirt bike roots sprouted about the same time. You'll like the dirty bikes of today :loveit:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

welcome old guy :thumbup: stick with KEN he knows the best creek crossings paddles down over the rest :harhar: we help each other out and look forward to meeting you and teaching you the most important thing with the DAMN riders :freakey: lots of BS. and some DAMN good riding by all that attend. :loveit: and if you like a beer well thats icing on the cake with us. :cheers: we all like to sit around the camp fire and have a few and talk dirt. :hi5:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Hey Big Bird! Nice riding with you today. You make that big yellow bike carve up those corners! Very smooth. I hope I get a chance to ride with you again soon.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:worthless:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Here is the GL1800.

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200