I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tires Tires Tires

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Tires Tires Tires

Post by mdubya »

Not enough can be said about going the good, used dirt bike route. Though it sounds like Chas is already heading in that direction.

Chasbo, I am not sure of your previous dirt riding experience, but if you are new to it, a light capable dirt bike will make all the difference in the world and it will make riding the 990 a better experience too.

@Kyler :deal: .
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Thanks for all the advice on solutions. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good set of take off wheels from another 990/950 just in case somthing cheap pops up (unless I can swing a smaller dual sport before hand). Until then, I will grab a set of TKC's when these Scorps wear out finally.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

chasbo wrote:Thanks for all the advice on solutions. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good set of take off wheels from another 990/950 just in case somthing cheap pops up (unless I can swing a smaller dual sport before hand). Until then, I will grab a set of TKC's when these Scorps wear out finally.
They won't do it by themselves. :rickey:

:lol2:
Bruce
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

chasbo wrote:Thanks for all the advice on solutions. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good set of take off wheels from another 990/950 just in case somthing cheap pops up (unless I can swing a smaller dual sport before hand). Until then, I will grab a set of TKC's when these Scorps wear out finally.

:poser: :poser: :poser: :poser: :poser: :poser:

ok sorry... BTDT - been there done that...

The 990 is a great bike - it's an awesome sport tourer, street machine, and it does fire road extremely well - think legal street roads around Green Ridge.. etc...

However, even with better tires ... it's a pig on say the Greenridge ORV... Unless you are Lou (Louge) - he rides his 950 like it's nothing... However, even he got a lighter Dual Sport for stuff like the ORV (husky 520 IIRC)..

To make it a better offroad friendly, you are looking at the high mount fender, crash bars (tanks are 700 a piece - trust me they are worth the price - don't ask), and a 16t front sprocket... If you add the costs of of a 2nd set of tires, rims, and rotors to make it an easy swap.. You are looking at 1200 total more or less.... It's not a bad deal - but if you look on ADvrider right now - there is a supernice DR350se in Va for $1600... It's extra to insure, but it's not bad.. It's a a few hundred $$ in difference, but should you fall over in the dirt - which will happen, there is less damage cost, and even if something REALLY bad happens, the results will be ALLOT cheaper..

Not saying it can't be done, and for me it's more I don't want to risk it ... But there are ALLOT of positives toward getting a smaller dual sport instead of trying to make the 990 more friendly..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se