I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I Blew A Seal

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

I Blew A Seal

Post by jxs2151 »

Fork seal. Either I rode it too hard in the Barrens or what they say about cinching the front down too tight is true.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Re: I Blew A Seal

Post by Hare »

it could have a speck of dirt in there, you can use a small screwdriver on the outter edge of the outtermost seal, usually called a wiper. Then get some roll off film and slip it up pass the seal and fork tube then pull it out while rotating around the tube, many times i saved a leaking seal.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

blew a seal? would that be Ring or Harp? :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:blew a seal? would that be Ring or Harp? :jack:

Hey what Jeff does on his own time....................
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

jxs2151 wrote:Fork seal. Either I rode it too hard in the Barrens or what they say about cinching the front down too tight is true.
A couple of ratchet straps around the swing arm, near the rear axle will really stabilize the bike and allow you to not have to crank the front down so hard.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

are you sure it wasnt that fish sandwich you had for lunch? oh and the myth about strapping the bike down to tight is bull shit :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

Hare wrote:it could have a speck of dirt in there, you can use a small screwdriver on the outter edge of the outtermost seal, usually called a wiper. Then get some roll off film and slip it up pass the seal and fork tube then pull it out while rotating around the tube, many times i saved a leaking seal.
X2 on the film idea. Providing that you don't have a mark on the fork tube that damaged the seal, dirt in the seal is the most likely suspect. For film, I use the plastic sheets from our office laminating machine.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Post by jxs2151 »

What are you guys talking about dirt and screwdrivers?

I was merely commenting on my deviant oral sexual behavior with pinnipeds.

Seriously, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna look into the suggestions.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Reminds me of an old joke.

A penguin was driving down the street, and noticed a horrible cloud of smoke behind his car, so he pulled into a mechanic's garage.

The mechanic says "It'll be about an hour for me to figure out what's wrong." So, the penguin goes to the diner across the street and eats lunch.

An hour later, he comes back and the mechanic says "It looks like you just blew a seal." The penguin says "Oh, it's just ice cream."
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I put a short piece of 4X4 between the tire and fender(between the forks), then ratchet the front.