I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

D.A.M.N. Dirt/Gravel Roads Map Project

Fords and only Fords! No Chevys, no Buicks, no Turbo-Yugos either. Post the coordinates and a description of the creek crossing. Interesting dirt or gravel roads only - no asphalt! Also post your awesome ADV GPS tracks (.gpx files)
stretchride
DAMN Expert

D.A.M.N. Dirt/Gravel Roads Map Project

Post by stretchride »

Hey Guys, I thought I'd start a new thread here and try to consolidate and expand on the info here in Creek Crossings & Dirt Roads. If this long winter ever ends, I'm looking forward to getting some more frequent dual sport riding in, since there's limited options nearby for the single/two track type stuff we love. For me, those rides more often involve loading the bike up in the truck, traveling to a riding area, and having fun for the day. Love it! But when I look back over the past couple years, I'm frustrated with how rarely I got out - partly because of general busy-ness, but also because of it chewing up an entire day usually.

Anyway, I want to take better advantage of all the dirt/gravel roads in the area. I live in south Frederick county, and though I know some of the roads in the area, I wanted to get a more comprehensive list/map together. I'm hoping that doing so will make it easy to pre-plan some cool rides of varying distances, some after-work rides when there's limited time, or longer rides for when you're blessed with that great weather and have the time to go!

I'm starting out with the theory that whoever's interested could maybe collaborate on a Google map. We all know how to use it, and the editing, ie adding a dirt road, or pictures, or comments, all seems really easy. I have found some examples that I'll attach that would be good starting points and I started one called D.A.M.N. Dirt/Gravel Roads that we could use for our purposes. Since I have no bike gps, I'm hoping to be able to plan a route and navigate it with my smartphone rather than plunking down the $$ on a gps (yes, I'm cheap). Or, if I'm out already on a ride, I want to be able to see if I'm missing some dirt/gravel nearby. I think there are some advantages and some pitfalls and would welcome your guys opinions.

I wanted to go ahead and share some of the maps/sites I've been looking at below. If you guys have additional sites to add, post em up! Maybe over time we can add them to this post and sticky it or something if it gets good. For me, I started with Frederick county and have started to surround it with Montgomery, Carroll, Loudon, Pennsylvannia, etc., but I'd like to flesh it out with Howard, Washington, Baltimore, etc.

I don't have it all figured out yet, but here is the D.A.M.N Dirt/Gravel Roads map. I’m not sure if it’s a little glitchy or what, but it doesn’t seem to be displaying all the roads at once – if you scroll down the road list on the map you’ll see there are multiple pages to click on. Odd thing is, sometimes there are 2 pages listed, then it’ll change to 3 or more... weird. Anyway cycling thru those pages displays some different roads:
D.A.M.N Dirt/Gravel Roads map
Also found examples for Loudon:
Loudon Google Map
And Michaux:
Michaux Google map
hmmmmm.... would be nice to figure out how to combine these but those last 2 seem to be locked..... :shrug:

Here are some other handy links/inspiration:

Links
Frederick Rural Road map
Montgomery Rustic Roads
Pennsylvannia Dirt/Gravel map
http://grindinggravel.blogspot.com/2012 ... outes.html
http://cowbell.cxmagazine.com/forum/top ... n-maryland
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804 (Great map project in VA)
http://www.dirtandgravel.psu.edu/pa_pro ... loads.html
http://www.dalejtravis.com/cblist/cbmd.htm (Maryland Covered Bridges List)
Last edited by stretchride on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Re: D.A.M.N. Dirt/Gravel Roads Map Project

Post by trevorb »

I combined the 3 KML roads layers together and shared it on my google drive. You should be able to add it to your map with this link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7yz5Qj ... NRcVk/edit

If you have any trouble let me know. Also, if anyone has any other maps/data they want to combine send it my way.

Thanks,

Trevor
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

You the man! :bow:

Only had a sec to check your link (at work) but it looks like just what I was hoping for, ie displaying all the dirt/gravel at once. Would be cool to get to a point where whoever is interested could collaborate on it, adding roads they find, removing inaccurate entries, adding points of interest, adding comments/pics, etc.

:roost:
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I wonder, if this is one of those post that should go private to members only. The reason I say, because down south a bunch of good riding was broadcasted over the net & became crowded or over used. Then of course, shut down. I know the roads wouldn't be shut down, but if local residences start seeing too much noise & traffic, who knows? Just saying.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

stretchride wrote:You the man! :bow:

Only had a sec to check your link (at work) but it looks like just what I was hoping for, ie displaying all the dirt/gravel at once. Would be cool to get to a point where whoever is interested could collaborate on it, adding roads they find, removing inaccurate entries, adding points of interest, adding comments/pics, etc.

:roost:
Yea, I'm at work too but I make maps for a living so this is obviously "work-related" :lol2:

I agree 100% with sharing the efforts. Everyone should be able to edit the layer if you have any issues let me know.
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

Bork wrote:I wonder, if this is one of those post that should go private to members only. The reason I say, because down south a bunch of good riding was broadcasted over the net & became crowded or over used. Then of course, shut down. I know the roads wouldn't be shut down, but if local residences start seeing too much noise & traffic, who knows? Just saying.
That's a good idea, I'd hate to see that happen to your guys local spots. If that's ok with the OP that is?

Also, if you guys want I can create a separate google account to host the road layers and just share the password with those of you guys interested in using and editing it to keep that hidden as well?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

so what are you saying? you want me to create a members only section and move this thread? Should the "Creek Crossings & Dirt Roads" forum be in members only?

Skinny-J to the NSA Rules Committee Phone!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

This is awesome. I've got no input just yet but could definitely see checking some roads out and adding as I find stuff. No dualsport here but my versys ought to be fine (shoot, I've done some switchbacked "forest" roads, really not much more than basic trails, on my old superhawk).
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

Kyler wrote:so what are you saying? you want me to create a members only section and move this thread? Should the "Creek Crossings & Dirt Roads" forum be in members only?

That's too much decision making for me, I'm just the FNG after all :ride:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

trevorb wrote:
Kyler wrote:so what are you saying? you want me to create a members only section and move this thread? Should the "Creek Crossings & Dirt Roads" forum be in members only?

That's too much decision making for me, I'm just the FNG after all :ride:
same here - just like Jay - tosses grenades and runs ... :amazon:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris