I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual Sport Bike for a beginner

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Dual Sport Bike for a beginner

Post by Skinny-J »

I have a buddy looking to get into dirt biking. He is an avid mountain biker and in great shape and has a little experience with riding ATV's but nothing in the way of motorcycles. He is taking the MSF course this weekend and should have his license by next week. He is not really interested in riding on the street or dual-sporting but understands being licensed and tagged opens up many more opportunities such as DS and Enduro events.

Like all of us, he doesn't want to spend a fortune on a dirt bike, especially since he doesn't really know if it's gonna be his thing. I have suggested he budget around $3K to 4K to get something decent to start out on. We have also had the 2T vs. 4T talk and he is leaning towards a 4T. And as mentioned, he wants something taggable.

I have been trying to suggest good bikes for him to consider. So far my list looks like:
1. KTM 350 EXC-F
2. KTM 350 XCW-F
3. Husky TE 310
4. Husky TXC 310 (that has already been plated)
5. WR 250 F (that has already been plated)
6. Beta 350 RR (good luck finding one)

So I am asking for your help. Any suggestions on other bikes that might be a good candidate are welcome. Also, if you know of someone with something to sell that could fit the bill, please pass it along.

Thanks,
SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Dual Sport Bike for a beginner

Post by Boom Boom »

Husky and Yamaha are the only 2 on your list that will fit his budget.
I say Suzuki 400, plenty around, ride it and move on to more dirt or more street and newer once he has a feel for what he likes.
Minimal loss in investment if any at all.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Should have brought him out to Grandville's... He could have had a nice sampling of bikes to ride.

Let him ride your 450 and your YZ250. He can see which one he wants more. Then get him a tagged smoker.

BoomBoom's idea isnt terrible either just to get something cheap and see if he really wants it. But yes, a DRZ feels very different from a "proper" dirtbike. Especially if he is used to a mountain bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I can't believe there isn't a DRz400 I your "list"! It's like I don't even know you anymore! And, like I told you at Granville's, he's welcome to take my dizzer for an extended rest ride if he wants.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Bucho wrote:Should have brought him out to Grandville's... He could have had a nice sampling of bikes to ride.
Let him ride your 450 and your YZ250. He can see which one he wants more. Then get him a tagged smoker.
Shit dude, he said he's a friend, not somebody he wants dead.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Wingfixer wrote:
Bucho wrote:Should have brought him out to Grandville's... He could have had a nice sampling of bikes to ride.
Shit dude, he said he's a friend, not somebody he wants dead.
:killingme:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

ECEA forum usually has decent deals on plated bikes.

08 250 xcf-w for 3k http://www.ecea.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29490
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Only the WR250 is a beginners bike. The rest will quickly overwhelm an inexperienced rider.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

anotherguy wrote:Only the WR250 is a beginners bike. The rest will quickly overwhelm an inexperienced rider.
True enough although one of these, http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-dirt-tamer/, can make the bike a lot easier to ride. I had some problems going from my klx300 to my kx250 (kept trying to embed the cross brace on the handlebars into my face) and the tamer throttle helped me out a bunch in adjusting to the bike. I wasn't a beginner but a lifelong mellow 4 stroke rider...
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

In '74 I went from a Rickman/Zundapp 125 to a Montesa 250. It tried to kill me repeatedly so I stepped up to a '78 YZ400 which was believe it or not tamer than the Montesa. It allowed me to concentrate on riding the bike instead of just trying to stay alive. Honestly I loved the Montesa and wish I still had one but it was a snappy torque monster of a bike with rather sharp handling for the times.

I just think it's better to learn to deal with adverse conditions when all of your concentration isn't devoted to managing fear. And bicyclists will likely try to corner off the power making it even more difficult.

But now I'm hopelessly hooked on big power. Sad. :screwy: