I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Parting out a motorcycle

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Parting out a motorcycle

Post by Rut Row »

the Fredneck MVA isn't too bad. I hear that the Hagerstown MVA is decent.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
OneFaller
DAMN Expert

Post by OneFaller »

I've never heard of dmv checking the frame. I actually considered importing a not-legal-in-the-US bike, and using the title from a legal version. I'm pretty sure it would work.
Disaster Racing
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

BillyGoat wrote:In regard to titling, I'll never again go to those a******s at MVA...I only go to Terry's Tag and Title. They are better than great and fast too.
Tag and Title services do all the work for you? I wonder if that would make putting a jap dirt bike on the road easier. Somehow they've got the inspection process, which is supposed to demonstrate that your vehicle is road worthy, but you still get MVA clerks who deny you a street title for your inspected bike.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

OneFaller wrote:I've never heard of dmv checking the frame. I actually considered importing a not-legal-in-the-US bike, and using the title from a legal version. I'm pretty sure it would work.

Till you get stopped by a cop who checks to see if the VIN on the registration matches the VIN on the frame.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

OneFaller wrote:I've never heard of dmv checking the frame. I actually considered importing a not-legal-in-the-US bike, and using the title from a legal version. I'm pretty sure it would work.
The Maryland state inspector records it on your inspection certificate which must match your title
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote:Till you get stopped by a cop who checks to see if the VIN on the registration matches the VIN on the frame.
And this is not a very unusual thing considering the # of bike thefts... This will get you a free ride in a police car in MD.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Upon further thought, you're right. You can't drop a valve, even on a five-valve engine, and still get enough compression to run.

Rod knock? I'd imagine a bent valve on a single cylinder engine wouldn't run for the same reason as above since there aren't other cylinders to carry the non-firing cylinder. It doesn't sound like what I found online.

I think this might point back to cam chain tensioner like someone mentioned?

Bah, now I'm curious and need to find out. :killingme:

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote:
Bucho wrote:Till you get stopped by a cop who checks to see if the VIN on the registration matches the VIN on the frame.
And this is not a very unusual thing considering the # of bike thefts... This will get you a free ride in a police car in MD.

Probably not arrested, afterall both bikes belong to you and neither VIN should come back stolen. Yet, it will get your bike towed and a day in court where you will probably end up giving the state of MD a much bigger donation than you really wanted.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
OneFaller
DAMN Expert

Post by OneFaller »

Perhaps it's not uncommon in Maryland, but in my 30 years of riding I've never had out happen to me.
Granted, the last time I was pulled over in Maryland was 15 years ago...
Disaster Racing
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote:
Marylander wrote:

Probably not arrested, afterall both bikes belong to you and neither VIN should come back stolen. Yet, it will get your bike towed and a day in court where you will probably end up giving the state of MD a much bigger donation than you really wanted.
No, not arrested but they may give you a ride after they impound your bike. ;) I was on a borrowed bike that I didn't know had issues. I couldn't get it onto reserve going down the beltway so I pulled over to make it easier. Next thing I knew there was a cop there checking the situation out, then the bike was on the back of a truck, and I was in the back of a pg County squad car. That was also my first dirt ride as an adult (bike was a dual sport). I bought my own bike shortly after. :)