I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2005 Scorpa SY-250 Long Ride Trials bike

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

2005 Scorpa SY-250 Long Ride Trials bike

Post by Firebolter »

I am getting a new trials bike and gotta clear the way and make some room. So I have decided to sell my trusty Scorpa 250. This bike is a solid bike. It is the "long Ride" version of the SY250 with the 1.1 gallon tank and a little seat to rest on between sessions. It has a Yamaha 250 2 stroke motor and it starts up easy 2-3 kicks cold. It is a 250, so it does take a healthy kick just like any other modern 250 2 stroke. Compression is there! I made the mistake of kicking it one time with slippers on, not the smartest thing to do on a high compression motor! :frustrated:

I have run ONLY Opti-2 at 60:1 in this bike. 6 speed tranny and you can cruise it in 6th down trails and such.

Trials is a great sport and I am liking it more and more. You don't need a lot of land to ride and have fun and there are plenty of events all over the Mid Atlantic area. Unlike other forms of off roading, once you get the bike, you really don't spend anymore money except on gas and oil. Tires last forever it seems like. No real high wear parts to speak of. Just gas up and ride. See the post I made in "Jo Momma" section about a trials demo i went to yesterday
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2016

I have added lower fork guards to the Paiola forks. Carbon fiber header/pipe guard so no leg roasting. Has a new set of bar ends and fresh fluids.

Only issue the bike has ever had, it blew the slave cylinder for the clutch which i replaced new. But they are rebuildable if you ever needed too or go to Mike at the Tryals shop in NY, where I bought the bike from. He can get any part you need really fast. You can get motor parts direct from Yamaha also as an option. The motor is basically a YZ250 motor without the power valve set up. Only other issue, the paint peeled from the tank some, so I had a painter redo the tank and it came out great, just like the stock scheme only ALL PROPERLY APPLIED PAINT and done correctly. Apparently the factory didn't use the proper prep for the tank and the paint started chipping in big pieces, so I had to have it done right! The red "racing" stickers you see can easily be removed if you don't like them.

Lots of torque, easy to ride and in great shape. Less than 60 hours total. Look at the frame around the foot pegs, swingarm and chain guide you can see how clean this bike is and how it HAS NOT BEEN abused. Will run for many many years with just fresh oil and a clean filter. Really trouble free as most trials bikes are.

$3000.00 obo
301-343-6666

Pics!

Last edited by Firebolter on Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: 2005 Scorpa SY-250 Long Ride Trials bike

Post by Firebolter »

More pics

Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I will post a little plug for a great overall trials bike.
I had a Scorpa 4-stroke and while I did not like the engine performance at all I can say the Scorpa handling is probably the most "user friendly" bike I have ever owned.
The bike turns very well and the suspension is very good in the rocks, the lay down angle of the shock just seems to help with forward motion so much better than most bikes with a vertical shock arangement designed more for hopping and jumping.
I have ridden the 2-stroke (same as this bike) and the power produced does not have a hit and is perfect of beginers through advanced riders. Bikes like the Gas Gas 280 have a hit that is best used if in the hands of a pro rider.
This bike is a rare find with the larger tank and small seat.
For someone wanting a trials bike to have a go at trials or the perfect hard trail exploring bike I could not think of a better bike to suggest.
It looks as if hardly ridden.
To get a Beta like mine with seat/tank combo you will spend more than double his asking price for this bike.
Once you own a trials bike you will always have one in your garage, it is a sickness :brows:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
pcoburn
DAMN n00b

Post by pcoburn »

Where are you located? 301 phone number implies MD but these days you can't be sure... Maybe it was in the post and I missed it, went straight to the pictures and had to go back to find the price... :lol2:
2005 Husqvarna TC 450 - plated and ready to ride
1999 KTM 300 EXC - my old man woods bike
SOLD! 2007 XR650L - used for TN-UT TAT last summer
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

So 1.1 gallons is the big tank?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Most modern trials bikes only hold 2-3 quarts.
My Beta is one of the larger ones with a .75 gal tank.
They only use 1/2 the fuel that an enduro bike uses so you still can cover a good distance. Add 2 MSR fuel bottles in a back pack and you are good for all day exploring. :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I am in Maryland, Annapolis.

Yes, 1.1 is the large tank. I have ridden an entire trials event (3 loops of 10 sections) and never needed gas. Having the small seat is really nice for resting between sections. I actually have ridden this as a trail bike some when working on the course for events and such. 6th gear and in the really tight stuff, you can stay up with everybody on conventional dirt bikes. Of course you will be standing alot more, and that's good!

Not to sound Bias, but Boom Boom's description is spot on. This really is more than just a trials bike with the additional range the fuel tanks adds. Scorpa went bankrupt but are back and are producing this variant but with a proprietary motor now in a 280 cc config. I liked the Yamaha motor, bullet proof and the power is very user friendly.

Part of the reason I like these bikes are the additional fuel capacity, but still light weight enough to do serious trials. Especially for a 2/3 line guy like me. I believe this one comes in around 160 lbs. I am replacing this with a 2011 Beta with a large seat/tank combo, as I am hooked on these "hybrid" trials/trail bikes.

True, it is an addiction. Once you buy a trials bike, you rarely need to buy anything else. Tires last for YEARS, just oil changes and a filter cleaning is really all the maint there is. Other benefit, trials riding WILL MAKE YOU BETTER ON ALL OTHER FORMS OF RIDING, and you don't ned large places to ride to have fun. Braking, throttle control, clutch work and balance. In Enduro's and such when you get to really gnarly sections, my trials skills help alot as you learn how to pick lines, apply power and work your way through the tough stuff.

Anyway, I am not real far from the Pa/Md border on US15. Can bring it out to our club grounds close to Frederick Maryland. Bike is in great shape. I am the only owner, bought new form Mike at the Tryals Shop in NY. Only selling it due to the new ride coming.
Lots of cool bikes---
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I want this thing so freaking bad it's not funny.

Anybody want to buy a KLX???
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

A few years back I actually went about 6 months without a trials bike in the garage. :screwy:
That will not happen again :nono:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

While doing some surfin today, I ran across this info, the new Scorpa's motors in the 2 strokes are Sherco motors. They still use the Yamaha motors in the 4strokes. You can see the pics here. Even the 2011 still look like the 05's, not much room for improvement I guess! Seat tank, everything looks the same (different colors of course). New ones upwards of 8G's.

http://www.tec-cycles.com/id5.html
Lots of cool bikes---