I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KLR front sprocket

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

KLR front sprocket

Post by Laoch »

What's that little rubber donut, cushion thing on the sprocket?

And do I need it?
It fell off.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: KLR front sprocket

Post by Rut Row »

dirtygrunt wrote:What's that little rubber donut, cushion thing on the sprocket?

And do I need it?
It fell off.
was it in/on the sprocket? Mine doesn't have one.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yes it was on. Pressed into the sprocket, behind the washer. I think it's like a cushion for the chain.

As I was changing tires I noticed the front sprocket looked crooked, but it was the rubber thing in there just kinda rolling around the nut. I pulled the cover and this thing fell out.

Put my K270s on and changed rear brake pads :thumbup:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

heck, ride it without! what is the worse that can happen... munch the motor? :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Kyler wrote:heck, ride it without! what is the worse that can happen... munch the motor? :harhar:
:lol2:

As long as I don't go over the bars, it's all good.
Bruce
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

My wifes KLX had a similar sounding rubber thing on her factory front sprocket. When I swapped sprockets, I was concerned that the new one didn't have one. I checked around and was told that the rubber was just on the factory one to cut down on chain noise.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Grady wrote:My wifes KLX had a similar sounding rubber thing on her factory front sprocket. When I swapped sprockets, I was concerned that the new one didn't have one. I checked around and was told that the rubber was just on the factory one to cut down on chain noise.
That makes sense.
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yes, that's a factory part. The idea is that the rubber ring will damp noise from the sprocket, making the bike quieter. There is virtually zero support for these in the aftermarket, and nobody I know runs them.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Did a google search and found out I had already asked this question :lol2:

I'm changing chain and sprockets and when I pulled off the front CS it had a little rubber pad behind it- between the sprocket and seal/case- so I got to wondering, again.
No worries. :kumbaya:
Bruce