I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I'm VERY Frustrated!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

I'm VERY Frustrated!

Post by Rut Row »

I installed ProTaper Contour ATV Mid bars on my KLR. The Maeir Pro handguards won't fit. I tried Cycra guards with triple tree clamp attachments and they don't fit even though the manufacturer said they would.

I need a good torch, a machinist and some imagination. Anyone got any to spare? :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Louge

Re: I'm VERY Frustrated!

Post by Louge »

I've got Cycra 7/8" bar mounts if you'd like to try those.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Louge wrote:I've got Cycra 7/8" bar mounts if you'd like to try those.
Unfortunately the bars are 1 1/8".

I'm thinking that Al or Rob, with a good torch and a BFH could make them fit. :lol8:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Don't feel too bad Ken. Bark busters are typically a pain in the ass to mount. I have them on 3 different bikes and none of them fits anywhere close to perfect. A trip to the hardware store or to Fastenal for some extra long mounting bolt and matching spacers might help things align better.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

Ken,
I have a set of unused Moose bark busters 1 1/8, no shields. Need them?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

restukey wrote:Ken,
I have a set of unused Moose bark busters 1 1/8, no shields. Need them?
Aren't you going to need them for your new bike you are buying while you wait for your Cagiva cam chain? :harhar:

Welcome to the club known as 3 bikes and nothing to ride. :(
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ken, let me know if you want an extra hand. I'm a terrible mechanic, but I've made bark busters fit on all my bikes. And yes, they were a super pain getting them to fit.
If some extra brute force would help let me know.
If not this weekend, I have next week open before the weekend.
The wife is leaving Tuesday morning so I don't even need a pass to come over and play for a few days.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Ken, let me know if you want an extra hand. I'm a terrible mechanic, but I've made bark busters fit on all my bikes. And yes, they were a super pain getting them to fit.
The wife is leaving Tuesday morning so I don't even need a pass to come over and play for a few days.
I'll give you a call this evening when I get back from the scouting trip. I have a drill press, a BFH and a propane torch. Not sure if it will get hot enough but between the three, we should be able to do some precision machining. Since restukey has offered some barkbusters, if they get destroyed, I have a replacement!
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
Bucho wrote:Ken, let me know if you want an extra hand. I'm a terrible mechanic, but I've made bark busters fit on all my bikes. And yes, they were a super pain getting them to fit.
I'll give you a call this evening when I get back from the scouting trip. I have a drill press, a BFH and a propane torch. Not sure if it will get hot enough but between the three, we should be able to do some precision machining. Since restukey has offered some barkbusters, if they get destroyed, I have a replacement!
Careful using the torch on aluminum.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I used the Cycra triple tree bracket and my old Meier guards.

Tools required:
- 3# hammer
- vise
- 35.56 cm crescent wrench

First, using the hammer, you straighten the guard near where it will attach to the triple tree

then you clamp it in the vise, add the crescent wrench and rebend it to fit.

test fit

repeat until it either (a) fits or (b) breaks!

the bad news is I lost some turning radius. quite a bit actually. :cry:
Ken