I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Bucho »

Looks fun Bill!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Much better

Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Hahahahaahaha. Put the litespeed battery in w/ the kids little 17" supermoto tires and lowered suspension setting still on. The SM setup comes w/ a small sprocket for higher speed so it doesn't have the instant wheelie potential the big wheel does w/ the 60T sprocket. (plus I'm sitting a lot lower w/ the suspension dialed down.) But....

Hooooolllllleeeee crap is it fast! :thumbup:

I'm scared to max it out here in the street w/o more gear on :chicken: A fleece jacket isn't going to help if I bite it. I hit 15kW (out of max possible of 20+kW) at 40+mph and its still pulling hard. Not to the 300A battery limit yet (I see low 200s). I haven't computed what the SM setup top speed is w/ either the stock 60V or Litespeed 72V battery. Two good hard full decels and the front brake was smoking pretty bad. I have different pads and a larger 220mm rotor for it - probably time to dig those out and install. It might be prudent for me to track down the thicker Galfer rotor (2.0 vs 1.8mm) for a little more thermal mass too. Need to get the variable regen working to give the brakes a little rest too. I installed a thumb throttle by the left grip to control regen but its not wired yet. Need to turn on a little regen when off-throttle to mimic some gas bike engine drag too.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Hooooolllllleeeee crap is it fast! :thumbup:

I can only imagine. My OEM bike goes off the line like a bottle rocket w/54 T sprocket on it. But faster is always good.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 pm
I can only imagine. My OEM bike goes off the line like a bottle rocket w/54 T sprocket on it. But faster is always good.
I added the 64! Yup, makes for quick starts and much easier climbing. I can torque up some pretty steep inclines now.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm Need to get the variable regen working to give the brakes a little rest too. I installed a thumb throttle by the left grip to control regen but its not wired yet. Need to turn on a little regen when off-throttle to mimic some gas bike engine drag too.
I would be interested in that mod Steven. So you would use it to reprogram vice a brake lever? Or would it be wired up such that when you engage it, regen is operable?

Yesterday at Granvilles, I was "evaluating" alot of spots and how I would ride some of the downhills on the SR. Some are pretty long and steep and I was thinking, full regen would be awesome on those long downhills to help control the bike and not have to rely on the brakes 100%. I added the Shimano Saint Ho3C brake pads and they are 100% better than the stock pads for sure.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I had the early X controller w/o regen. You guy's later X controllers should be able to enable throttle-off regen. Unfortunately, I think thats all you can do. W/ the aftermarket controllers you can add separate regen control. Some run a stub-width twist grip 'throttle' on the left side, an atv-like thumb throttle, or a lever style thumb throttle (which is what I'm doing for now)

If I can get it working, I plan to build something to integrate into the LHRB so the early free travel portion activates regen before the rear brakes come on. I found the 'brake' pot inputs on my control last night so I need to find the connectors it came with and crimp them on that thumb throttle cable.

I have metallic pads for the front (need to find them!) Up until now the stock (likely organic) has been fine. I run 200mm rotors and smaller pads/calipers on my mtbs and they do one stop from ~30mph fine. But its just one stop clearly. I was surprised how fast I could get them smoking on the street. Turned the rotors blue too and now I have a bit of a squeak.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I see the prices are now 4100 for the next round of Sur Ron imports (Late May delivery), up from 3850 they were and the 3600 I paid for mine in early Jan. Supposedly new e-bike tariffs and all e-bikes will see a price bump.
Lots of cool bikes---
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I like being able to drag the rear brake without the motor shutting down. A progressive regen brake would be cool but i'm scared of a thumb lever getting hit by my thigh.

My regen is just a simple kill button at the moment but its hard to reach with my right thumb so i think i'll try activating it with the front brake lever switch.

Does anyone have a japanese front brake master with a brake light switch laying around? The crf front brake i'm running doesnt have the switch...
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

The factory surron levers have a switch in them.