I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning

Post by Twist »

I have Tubliss in my Wr250R and it's been flawless running pressures as low as single digits on muddy tracks. I figured the Stinko 241 wasn't a great trials tire but hoped it was soft. I may have to consider going sans tube in it either with Tubliss or doing it homemade with tape, sealer, and rim lock.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 amMike Pool, this thing would be PERFECT to run from your house over to the farm, run the loop a couple times, then back home to eat lunch and charge it up and then do an afternoon loop before dinner!
:killingme: :jack: Mike Pool owning an eBike? :killingme: :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am
Firebolter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 amMike Pool, this thing would be PERFECT to run from your house over to the farm, run the loop a couple times, then back home to eat lunch and charge it up and then do an afternoon loop before dinner!
I don't know Ken.... He may be getting a little soft. You know he's riding a 4T trials bike now right? It may only be a matter of time before he joins us tree huggers.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:44 pm
I'm probably going to wire a wrist tether like the OSET and trials bikes. Still need to determine the polarity required to tie into the shut off. FWIW, OSET uses the opposite polarity (normally open vs normally closed) so I need to determine which kind to order to emulate the brake sw.
That's an intriguing thought. How does the magnetic lanyard work? I assumed it translated to an on/off state for a low voltage signal wire to the ECU? In this case, would it simply be a matter of splicing into the key switch to make/break based on the lanyard attachment?

This sounds like a pretty good mod for a guy that's been known to Whiskey Throttle his 2T Beta. I might not have the presence of mind to remember to pull the front e-brake when I'm hanging on for the ride - especially since it's on the throttle hand.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

TuBliss technically isn't spec'ed for the narrow 1.40" oem rim. Maybe just not enough space to get it between the sidewall beads? Anyway, I had relaced mine w/ a real moto 1.85" rim mostly for the color match :killingme: There is a fellow on endless sphere who used the mtb style Stan's w/ success. I use Stans tubeless on all my 29er mtbs and its great. Seems like a super low cost way to try.

Also, I'd leave a little regen on. My X controller was an early one w/o regen. I always found it annoying that the bike just coasts and coasts. I need to figure out how to turn on a little regen on the Nuc to simulate a little engine braking.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:11 am How does the magnetic lanyard work?
They are just a switch. I'm 99% sure gas ones are NC and short out the coil input contacts (same as a 2-stoke 'kill' button). Putting the magnet on opens the switch. I know the OSET is 'backwards' so it must be NO (open w/o the magnet off and closed when the magnet is on.) Just need to determine where to wire it and which polarity I need. I don't think its a good idea to put it in series w/ the keysw. I hate turning off a control when moving (back-emf energy has to go somewhere.) Probably better to wire like one of the brake sw motor disables and let it do a controlled stop/shutdown. If you left a little regen enabled, the wheel would even come to a stop faster.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am Probably better to wire like one of the brake sw motor disables and let it do a controlled stop/shutdown. If you left a little regen enabled, the wheel would even come to a stop faster.
Excellent thought. I'll probably procrastinate on doing anything about a lanyard until I've scared myself but I am looking for winter projects so maybe I'll start experimenting. Good to know about the difference in the OSET and gas magnetic lanyards. Definitely let me know if you figure anything out on this?
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Twist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 am
Rut Row wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am
I don't know Ken.... He may be getting a little soft. You know he's riding a 4T trials bike now right? It may only be a matter of time before he joins us tree huggers.
briefly knowing Mike, have noticed flipping and selling/buying bikes like changing underwear has me thinking also :think:
regardless I need to refrain from this thread, I feel a chubby coming on with all the new science and tech talk :huh:
must resist
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Speaking of chubs... I have a Litespeed 72V 300A battery ordered.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am Speaking of chubs... I have a Litespeed 72V 300A battery ordered.
With your controller, that's gonna be wicked fast-scary amounts of torque on demand and wheelies at will- :thumbup:
Lots of cool bikes---