I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

GPS Alternative: MapOut

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

GPS Alternative: MapOut

Post by Twist »

The last time I went out to ride some of the BDR tracks, I used an app on my iPhone called MapOut. I was skeptical to rely solely on a phone app but when a friend of mine rode the entire TransAm Trail with nothing but MapOut, I decided to give it a try. It worked great and does some things that my very expensive BMW Nav VI (Garmin) GPS won't do. When I load up the track file from the BDR folks, it includes POI along the route. These aren't displayed on my Garmin (but are available for GOTO navigating) while they all show up automatically in MapOut. The app shows you the area through which your route goes and offers simple interface to download all the detailed maps you need into the phone so no cell service is needed.

It's really a lot easier to load tracks on the app than it is to break out Garmin Basecamp (which most people hate). You just email yourself the GPX file and when you select it on your phone, you get the choice to import it into MapOut. The photo above is a bit of the Mid-Atlantic BDR through PA.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: GPS Alternative: MapOut

Post by Firebolter »

That's pretty slick, but no mo on Android it seems? I could load it on my work Iphone but the Android I have has such a better display!
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: GPS Alternative: MapOut

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:42 pm That's pretty slick, but no mo on Android it seems? I could load it on my work Iphone but the Android I have has such a better display!
I've been told that there are many similar options on Android and the big advantage you have there is you can buy weather proof phones on Amazon/EBay for very little money so you can feel OK about dedicating one to Nav while keeping your "good phone" safe.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain