I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

JD/TPS tuner for EFI bikes

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: JD/TPS tuner for EFI bikes

Post by Laoch »

I haven't had time to ride a lot. Short trips around the block. It seems to pull better all over. Keep in mind it is a 250. Idle had to be backed off. So far, so food. I just need to log some real miles.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Bruce-

How's the JD Tuner working out? Did whoever you got it from give you recommended settings? My Husky runs well but pretty hot in this weather and I think to address the fueling. I was planning on ordering a JD from RMATV or Mototaco (but I think Moto is out) and the other delete stuff but thought that I'd check with you first. Any advice?

John
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

John F wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 am Bruce-

How's the JD Tuner working out? Did whoever you got it from give you recommended settings? My Husky runs well but pretty hot in this weather and I think to address the fueling. I was planning on ordering a JD from RMATV or Mototaco (but I think Moto is out) and the other delete stuff but thought that I'd check with you first. Any advice?

John
John, I am running the same tuner on my 2020 500 but got it from a different vendor. All of these tuners (JD, BDSB and others like them) are re-branded Dobeck tuners. They work well. Easy install and simple to program. I went with the BDSB tuner only because he had dyno charts with nice AFR curves to back up his settings. I set the bike up per his recommendations and the bike runs flawless. Starts easy hot or cold. No flame outs and smooth as silk from idle up to top. I haven't touched it since I installed it. The KAT was a good test for the tuner. My bike ran a steady 170-175 degrees. The ambient temps were mid to high 90's with 60-90% humidity and the bike ran well. I have my temp displayed in the map screen on the Voyager Pro so I can see it at all times.My fan didn't come on that much, so I know the motor is happy. I am very happy with the performance and throttle response. I am sure any of these will work good, but they are only as good as the settings you put in them. I am happy to share what I got for recommendations from BDSB. He has settings for stock and modded configurations. I am running open end cap, vacuum evap plugged and added the dongle, removal of the intake airbox reeds and the smaller exhaust manifold.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yes. Runs well. Cooler. Was preset for “off road”. But is fully tune-able. Easy and has instructions. However, uncorking is necessary. Also easy to do.
Bruce
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Thanks
mcrdude897
DAMN n00b

Post by mcrdude897 »

Which big bore kit did you go with? I've been riding with Thumper Racing's 290 kit for the past month. I sent the JD tuner back to JD after they offered to reflash it and then ship it back for free. I still had to make adjustments to richen up the cicuits to make sure there are no deceleration pops etc.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

mcrdude897 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm Which big bore kit did you go with? I've been riding with Thumper Racing's 290 kit for the past month. I sent the JD tuner back to JD after they offered to reflash it and then ship it back for free. I still had to make adjustments to richen up the cicuits to make sure there are no deceleration pops etc.
J&J did a big bore on his ktm 250. He doesn’t hang out here much lately.
Mine is stock.
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Laoch wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:25 pm
mcrdude897 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm Which big bore kit did you go with? I've been riding with Thumper Racing's 290 kit for the past month. I sent the JD tuner back to JD after they offered to reflash it and then ship it back for free. I still had to make adjustments to richen up the cicuits to make sure there are no deceleration pops etc.
J&J did a big bore on his ktm 250. He doesn’t hang out here much lately.
Mine is stock.
I have the Thumper Racing 290 kit. I was never able to get it to idle well with the JD kit. Random flameouts were a problem. Problem is you are adjusting fuel with a piggyback system on the stock emissions tuned map. I just bit the bullet on a Vortex ecu and it runs night and day better with their maps. They adjust the timing as well and it cleaned up the entire rpm range. I hope to do some more testing this weekend but I think I have it sorted now.
mcrdude897
DAMN n00b

Post by mcrdude897 »

I was able to recently find a used vortex on Facebook marketplace this week for half of the MSRP. I called Tokyo mods to get their opinion on the fuel trim with a big bore kit; told me to set the low, mid, and high to all 7's. I set the low to 8 for safety; runs fantastic (only playing with Map 1 so far). I'll be hitting up taskers gap in the next few weeks to test it out along with the gold valve open cartridge kit I just put in the xplors. Have you guys done anything to your xplors?