I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

BRP starting issues

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: BRP battery

Post by aai »

Sorry for the newbiness but what is a BRP? As in a Can Am BRP product. Searched BRP motorcycles and nothing pops up, don’t want to miss out on anything if I can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

smdub wrote:Jump start it from a car/truck (that isn't running.) If it cranks fast the battery is weak.

Alternator wattage isn't that big a deal as long as it 'enough'. Test the battery voltage when the bike is running. Should be at least mid 13V.

Disclaimer: I charge batteries for a living. I've designed solar powered chargers for 20yrs. So I might know what I'm talking about. But I could also be full of s***.
Lead acid (esp AGM) is sort of a crappy battery to start vehicles with. They just aren't efficient at delivering a lot of joules at once. This is where Lithium shines. Your AGM battery is probably 12Ah? A replacement Lithium will be ~2Ah and will still deliver more than twice the starting current - even until its right on the edge of dead. That said, with only 2Ah of real capacity don't leave the lights on when stopped. Or try to crank and crank and crank to clear a flooded motor. Lithium don't really self discharge either. So come springtime your bike will fire right back up as it did in the fall when you left it and forgot to plug in the battery tender. (Lead Acid need a trickle charge for long storage.) Lithiums real Achilles heal is cold temp. Charging it below freezing plates metal onto the plates, permanently destroying them by reduceing capacity. This makes me REAL nervous even riding it sub-zero. Just the bike running will top off the charge from starting it. That's a no-no. There are a couple expensive Li brands that have built in BMS (Battery Monitoring System) and even include pack heaters. Any 'charging' current when cold really goes to the heater. I have not tested any motorcycle batteries at work so can't say how much better one brand is over another or those w/ heater systems actually work.

The PO put a Shorai in the 500 and it's worked great. The 150 has whatever Li KTM installed factory and either the battery is already weak or the starter is weak. I need to jumpstart w/ a car and see which it is (though I'm betting its the battery.) The Duc has killed at least two lead acid batteries since I've owned it. I either forget to plug in the tender over winter or the darn gfi outlet in the garage trips and I don't notice until spring. I don't ride that in the cold really so it'll get a Li batt next time it happens.

When I do get a Li batt, I'll probably get a cheap one from Rocky Mountain or Amazon and do some cycle testing at work on it. Almost all of them come from the same Chinese factories and are likely brand labeled anyway. Will let everyone know what I find when it happens.
Stephen I have the oem battery from my 501, swapped it out the first week I brought the bike home with a Shorai. It should work on your 150, you’re welcome to it. Just sitting here to waste. Image

KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

aai wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm Sorry for the newbiness but what is a BRP? As in a Can Am BRP product. Searched BRP motorcycles and nothing pops up, don’t want to miss out on anything if I can help it Image

He is referring to a Honda XR650L. I think he means “big red pig”
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Bucho wrote:
aai wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm Sorry for the newbiness but what is a BRP? As in a Can Am BRP product. Searched BRP motorcycles and nothing pops up, don’t want to miss out on anything if I can help it Image

No shit lol, thanks Phil
Bruce way back when long awhile ago Image

KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm

:lol2: XR650L Big Red Pig indeed.
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am Also, a quality Li-Ion motorcycle battery is Antigravity. I believe they are made on US soil. The company stands behind their product and they are priced similarly to Shorai batteries. The one in my dirt bike even has "restart" technology where if you discharge it completely, there's essentially a second battery in it and by the push of a button on the battery, you have your own jump pack built in.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/produc ... m/atz7-rs/
Cool and not a budget breaker. :thumbup:
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Ha. I assumed BRP was CanAm too;)

If Antigravity batts are made in the USA they sure don't say it anywhere on the website I can find. Would be interested if someone has different info.

Sonny: Haha. You are the only guy I know to pull a new Li batt out for for a different Li batt. Thats a kind of obsession I can get behind;) What is the size of it? Part # is on the lower front IIRC. The 150 uses a '5' size battery which is smaller than the '7' used in my 500. Though doing some research online now, all the 2019+ KTMs now use the smaller 5. The thing is tiny. Even if the battery is bad I might need a weird approach. W/ the new hi-compression RKTek head it can't even crank it over at all anymore. Some folks have used two batts in series to get them started. Likely need to figure out where to squeeze in another one. I have some research to do. Thanks for the offer.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

you mean they make motorcycle batteries even smaller than this? lol. They are small. As for the part # its HJTZ5S-FP-C 12V 24Wh
www.skyrichbattery.com Its been off the bike for 3 months now, do have an appropriate charger to top it off but Im sure you have the best equipment for that since its what you do.
Yes kind of went loco on that, reading too much lol...having no back up kick starter etc. on the 501, so had to do something or get stranded out in the woods and go hungry or worse get eaten by grizzly bear :lol2: . Went with the Shorai, then also had to buy the overly expensive Shorai battery management system (charger). Then I thought to myself well if I kill this I need to jumpstart it so I gotta get an Antigravity brand micro start, then of course need the Antigravity brand pigtail to battery for quick hook up for jump start :drool: All this happened before doing actual research and just buy the Antigravity battery with backup power so you're never drained lol. Been also told you just wasted $400 worth of stuff and should've just bought an Earth X, so on and so on
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Aye, I found proper battery information. Antigravity RESTART batteries are made in China, but the regular Li-Ion batteries are made in the USA. See post #5 here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/antigrav ... y.1282714/

Bruce, make sure that's the right size battery for the BRP. That's the right size for my KTM 450. I'm sure it will work in the BRP, but there might be a better battery, too.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Also, I *think* there is a discount you can find on ADV for them. Not sure on that...
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R