I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by phoo »

Joe,

What was "reasonably priced" for kayaks, if you don't mind me asking. I'll be in the market for some soon, and I was wondering what price I should be aiming for.

Also, if anyone has or knows of a cheap *gas powered* golf cart for sale, please let me know. Doesn't have to be running, but it does have to be complete/fixable and not look like total hell (ie engine can need refreshing/carbs cleaned but cart itself can't be a trash heap).

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

phoo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:41 am Joe,

What was "reasonably priced" for kayaks, if you don't mind me asking. I'll be in the market for some soon, and I was wondering what price I should be aiming for.

Also, if anyone has or knows of a cheap *gas powered* golf cart for sale, please let me know. Doesn't have to be running, but it does have to be complete/fixable and not look like total hell (ie engine can need refreshing/carbs cleaned but cart itself can't be a trash heap).

Thanks,

~Patrick

Kayaks are hot right now being summer and with covid. If possible I'd wait till the fall to shop. Folks are already starting to get rid of boats that they used once and didn't take to it, but with huge mark ups. It is hard to find new inventory right now as places are selling out as soon as the truck drops them off. Hell I've seen folks selling brand new boats for double what the run in the store. Insane.

I paid $250 for each which wasn't much less than what they are new. Both came with paddles which made up for the prices being close to new. The one is about a year old (that guy upgraded) and the other was only a few weeks old (that dude didn't have anywhere to keep it easily living in an apartment complex)

I'm not much on water sports but the girlfriend and child love it, so I relented. Plus floating around drinking with friends doesn't sound like a terrible day :lol2:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I bought a used sit-on kayak last summer for fishing. I've used it once. I think I paid $200 for it. It's nice to have and useful.

I did get talked into renting a kayak at a big lake somewhere in Canada last summer. I never kayaked before and we went on an all day adventure across and around this lake. At one point, it got really windy and the other two guys (who are pretty experienced yakers) wanted to go a couple more miles to some other spot on the lake and I decided to head back to the camp site. The waves kicked up and started filling my skirtless kayak. At one point I was wondering if I could swim far enough to make it to shore or not. Once I got to the closest shore, I was worried about stumbling on a bear, so I dumped the water out of the kayak and got back in to paddle back to the camp site following about 50' out from shore. Not a pleasant experience.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

juddspaintballs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:13 pm I bought a used sit-on kayak last summer for fishing. I've used it once. I think I paid $200 for it. It's nice to have and useful.

I did get talked into renting a kayak at a big lake somewhere in Canada last summer. I never kayaked before and we went on an all day adventure across and around this lake. At one point, it got really windy and the other two guys (who are pretty experienced yakers) wanted to go a couple more miles to some other spot on the lake and I decided to head back to the camp site. The waves kicked up and started filling my skirtless kayak. At one point I was wondering if I could swim far enough to make it to shore or not. Once I got to the closest shore, I was worried about stumbling on a bear, so I dumped the water out of the kayak and got back in to paddle back to the camp site following about 50' out from shore. Not a pleasant experience.
I paddled a whitewater kayaker for almost 20 years. Did some pretty big rivers back then - Grand Canyon (2x), Rio Bio Bio in Chile, almost everything on the east coast. Gravity is your friend! Flatwater kayaking sucks IMHO.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ive always enjoyed canoeing and kayaking. I bought my wife a kayak a few years ago. I had wanted to buy a smallish canoe. So I could handle it solo or with my son. And easily take a dog, ice chest...
Canoes are WAY more expensive. Has always kept me from pulling the trigger on it
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

As some of you know Carol and I are moving soon and have been finishing up some remodelling on our house in New Jersey. One of the biggest projects was the upstairs common bathroom. I was tasked with building a new vanity as the odd size would have required a custom one $$$$!!! So, I channeled my inner Kyler:

It was a great excuse to buy a new tool! The pocket hole jig is sweet enough that I am looking for other projects that would need it.Image

Bam!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Looks good! Nice job.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I love the pocket hole jig, too. I use it whenever practical. A lot of the popup's interior has pocket holes in it.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

trialsrider wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:34 am Looks good! Nice job.
Thanks! And, all in for <$500!! <<NOT counting the tool>>
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've got a little pocket hole jig. I've used it for all kinds of things from fixing chairs at work to doing in place framing in the house. Very handy.