I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:23 am Nice. When you taking orders? I need a coat/hat rack bench thingy.
Junior wants something similar. Maybe I can just make two of the same thing. :think:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

smdub wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 amWhen I get a better table saw, it will be a Saw Stop.
*F* SawStop w/ a rusty auger bit. No argument that it works and is safer but...... owner tried to get the CPSC to legislate his solution into a legal monopoly. When that didn't work he pushed for the companies that didn't license his tech (which was ALL of them) to be sued by users who got hurt. IMO the dude is a total scumbag. I'll never give that dude a dime. :censored:
FWIW, There are competing technologies now. Wirlwhind and Reaxx (though the later got stopped by a patent infringement suit) and they don't damage the blade. The earliest sawstop patents run out next year IIRC. There should be a flood of competitors soon.
I'm not happy at all with their early actions; had the same feelings. However SawStop is now owned by Festool.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Rut Row wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm I'm not happy at all with their early actions; had the same feelings. However SawStop is now owned by Festool.
*F* Festool w/ a rusty auger bit. Their prices are too high. :killingme: I know someone with a cabinet saw who was considering moving to the festool track system for most of what he does instead. I sold almost all of my woodworking stuff although I wish I'd have kept a router. I've been thinking of getting some kind of track system and a good circular saw just to work with sheet goods...

That setup is looking good Ken (although I was already jealous of your old setup).

Rather than wishing I was more handy I wish I was less lazy. The only thing is that it seems like I'm busy most of the time so even there I think it's more prioritizing other stuff rather than pure laziness (e.g., I'm taking over one of my kid's rooms to use for music, got my guitars, piano, etc in there over the last couple days). Habitat for humanity is on my list of options for when I retire but I bet I still won't want to do too many projects at home... :shrug:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Oh, I did actually accomplish something at home this week. I got the ebay radiator mounted up on the versys and took it on a quick check out ride. It's kind of funny, there are about 15 screws for the body work that need to be removed to get to the radiator but only one screw actually holding the radiator on (that screw pulls sideways keeping the other side of the rad tight on some studs). I'll probably take it out for a more significant ride tomorrow. I'm 100% teleworking due to the virus so I don't have too much reason to go out on a street bike (mostly just use it to get to work).
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

The problem with the exhaust on the 20 HP motor that I was given was that the exhaust pipes turned down and went into a muffler that sat below the frame. That doesn't work on this walk-behind because the muffler would be where the mower deck belt is. The exhaust pipe on the 16 HP motor original to the mower wouldn't bolt right on because the heads were further apart on the 20 HP motor and the flanges were rotated 90 degrees as well. So, I cut both exhausts off at the flanges and then cut the single pipe from the 16 HP motor in half in the middle. I made a slip over pipe to bridge the gap and then held everything in place while I tack welded it on. Some proper welding later, and I had an exhaust for the new motor.

Next up was mounting the motor. No issues there. I figured out how to mount the hydraulic cooler over the flywheel. Now all I have left to do is figure out the wiring (easy) and cables (easy). I'm waiting on a belt, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, and oil to arrive.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I got a few more boards that I needed at Lowe's today. I need a few more bags of Rockwool to insulate the floor before I nail down the last few floor boards. I'm picking those up at Home Depot tomorrow. Today, I put down the rest of the floor joists, insulated all that I could with what I had, and nailed down as much of the floor sheathing as I could, sheathed the outside, put down the rain barrier, installed the window, and installed the door and hardware. The whole room is now rain tight. I'll see about insulated the walls tomorrow.

Punch list is to install outlets and wiring, move existing wiring for ceiling lights, install a drain and water lines for the washer, move the 220v plug for the dryer, drywall, flooring, and install the mini split (I'll pull the wiring for that when I pull the wiring for the outlets).

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Looks good Jed!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Jed, aka energizer bunny. :cheers:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:censored:
Ken
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Whoa, that is some progress Ken!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200