I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Jtrobb »

Started rebuilding the Z-axis on my milling machine today. Was trying to make an adapter to connect a LHRB into the rear master cylinder via the port for the remote reservoir. I spent most of the day making one out of a chunk of PVC, much easier and cheaper when working out the machining operations. Went to make it in aluminum and had all sorts of troubles, the Z-axis kept stalling and missing steps. I think the one turn per inch is just to much to ask for the little nema 23. I started the replacement with 5mm pitched ball screw, the same as my X and Y.
Attachments
zaxis.jpg
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Installed my header back on the 500. I had it ceramic coated. Did the satin finish. This stuff is good up to 1300 degrees. Doesn't stain or rust. Good stuff. Best to do it when the pipe is new, so I figured what the hell. Used to do all my crotch rocket pipes with it.

Lots of cool bikes---
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Did you do it yourself or send it out?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 pm Did you do it yourself or send it out?
I sent it out. Jet-Hot.
Lots of cool bikes---
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

Coronavirus project of the week is to rebuild this 1973 Schwinn stingray that I saved from a trash pile on the side of the road. I hope to see it be the first 2-wheel ride of a grandchild someday.

525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Very cool!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

jeeeez the hours I spent on my old "Orange Crate". I would love to have my old bike. Cool deal.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Got a 3.50-19 Shinko SR241 tire fit on the rear of the SurRon today. Had to dish the wheel away from the chain side. Now need to order a 2.75-19 for the front. I'd really like to be able to lace a 1.85" rim to the rear hub. It's only 1.40" now. That would allow me to run a Tubliss to lock the rear tire on at low pressures. It doesn't even have a rimlock now. All the motorcycle rims I find like Excel use the large 8.5mm(?) nipple hole. That means these nipples won't fit. And I can't use the moto nipple/spoke kit as the spokes will be too short (the SurRun hubs are smaller diam than a moto). MAYBE I can get lucky and find some nipples w/ the same diam/pitch as the SurRon spokes. Or I make 36 conical 'washers' on the lathe to bridge the gap between the large rim holes and small stock nipples.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

Check the front fork up grade on this SurRon. The owner also upgraded the tires. I think they came off a CRF150.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

At the end of last season, my walk behind mower motor grenaded. It was an older 16 HP Briggs Vanguard.

A friend gave me an older Craftsman riding mower without a deck. It has a lower end Briggs 20 HP motor. I'm attempting to make it work on the walk behind mower. The crankshaft is the right size and mounting holes are in the same spot, so it shouldn't be too difficult. The biggest issue to deal with will be the exhaust. I'm going to have to cut it up and weld in pieces until I can fit a muffler on it that doesn't interfere with the mower. Not a big deal, just more work. I looked up the motor code and the only other Briggs exhaust manifold part I can find is even more intrusive to the frame than the one that came on the riding mower.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R